08 V8 60K miles, tranny, front & Rear Diff flud change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

08 V8 60K miles, tranny, front & Rear Diff flud change

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:56 am

Hey all,

On my most recent trip the Pathfinder just went over 60K miles. With that in mind, I'm now in the process of doing the drivetrain oil change. I've always heard good things about Amsoil, and someone I work with is a dealer and is going to give me a good price, I hope. Anyway I just want to make sure I'me getting the correct amounts for this to happen correcty and to see what you alll think.

Lets start with the transmission. I'm planning on going with a drain and fill method. I know I won't get all the old fluid out, but little by little this should work. From my readings I need Nissan Matic J ATF. I plan to use this...
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/t ... e=ATFQT-EA

If you read the description it says it meets both Matic D and J. Question is, how many quarts will I require? The manual says 10 7/8 but I think that has to be for the entire transmission. What say you?

Now on to the transfer case. I plan to use the same stuff already posted as it says it meets both Matic J and D. From the readings I think I need 4 qts.

Rear diff requires API GL-5 synthetic 75w-90. 3 3/4pt. I plan on using this...
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/g ... e=SVGQT-EA

I plan on doing some towing this summer and also hitting some trails.

Front diff requires APL Gl-5 80w-90. 3 3/8pt. I plan on using this...
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/g ... e=AGLQT-EA

Has anyone used Amsoil before? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks all for looking and helping me out.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:56 am

I changed my trany an diffs oils at the dealer at around 70,000 miles. I purchased here in dec 2010 with 64,000.
Since then I just switched both diffs to 3.356 gears and Sorry but I went with Red Line Stuff.
Next I am going to change the tranny and transfer case with Red Line oil as well. Waiting to get the deep tranny oil pan and bigger external tranny cooler
and as soon as my warranty expires in december I will be bypassing the radiator trany cooler and changing all the oil.
I do have some Numbers for you regarding the amounts of oil for diffs and transfer case our V8's need.
Hope it helps.

Gear oil, 4 Quarts:
Front Diff, 3.4pt
Rear Diff, 3.7pt

ATF, 3 Quarts:
Transfer Case, 4.2 pt

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:21 pm

If you are using synthetic in the front diff, you can use the 75W90. When I've serviced the trans on my 06 & 08 V6, I always end up installing a hair under 4 qts. As far as the transfer case, being an LE, I would assume you have the Auto-mode? If so, the Auto-mode has a higher capacity than the part-time transfer case. The part-time transfer case requires 2-1/8 quarts whereas the Auto-mode requires 3-1/8 quarts. Service manual instructs to fill the transfer case and let it sit for 3 minutes, then re-check the level.

One thing I can recommend is to get a fluid transfer pump to make the job easier. They aren't expensive; here's a link to one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use- ... 66418.html

Nissan also recommends you replace the aluminum crush washers on the transfer case and diff plugs. I didn't and haven't had any problems, but had I known, I would have picked up new ones from Nissan. You'll need a 10MM allen socket for the drain and fill plugs.

Amsoil has been around for years and is known as the "original synthetic." If it says it work in Type "J" and "S" Nissan applications, it'll work fine in your R51. The original fluid is made by Castrol for Nissan and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. In my Pathys, I've used Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the transmissions and in my Auto-mode transfer case for almost 2-years and it's worked fine. I use Mobil synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in my diffs. I know some have used Royal Purple and Redline, which are both good. My only knock against Amsoil is the price, but if you are getting it at a discount, then that would not be too bad!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm

smj,

Thanks for your input. So you are telling me I can put in the 75w-90 in the front diff, the same as the rear? That won't mess anything up? I do have the auto-mode on my transfer case.

I'll be sure to buy one of those pumps. I have the old style where you screw onto the top of your bottle and then just squeeze the fluid in, but the pump looks easier.

As for the Tranny fluid and transfer case fluid, from the manual it tells me I need Matic J for the tranny and Matic D for the transfer case. Is this not correct? Where did Matic S come into the question?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 pm

i had my diffs and xfer case done at a 4x4 (4wheelparts.com to be exact) shop at around 60k mi i think, just so i'd have the receipt to prove it was done incase i had any issues. i want to say it was around $250?

the trans fluid i did myself, and i think i put just under 4qts myself. i had a post about it somewhere, but i'm too lazy to look it up :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Type "D" is the original formula of Dexron. Dexron III has a slightly thicker viscosity than Dexron/Dexron II, but that doesn't really make any difference in a transfer case application. It is not synthetic. Nissan Type "J" is a synthetic ATF and Nissan later replaced it with "Type S." If you went to Nissan and purchased genuine Nissan ATF for your Pathfinder, they would sell you Type "S." Most, if not all, of your aftermarket synthetics that are compatible with "J" and "S" are also compatible with Type "D."
You won't mess anything up installing synthetic 75W90 in the front diff. The front diff, unlike the rear, doesn't require synthetic but installing synthetic won't hurt anything. The 75W90 will have a slightly thinner viscosity at cold temperatures than the 80W90, which is a good thing.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:17 am

Doc/smj,

Thanks for the input. Having 75w-90 in the front will allow to only purchase 1 kind of oil for the diffs and one kind of oil for the tranny and transfer case.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 am

smj999smj wrote:...The original fluid is made by Castrol for Nissan and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF....
Matic-S is Castrol Multi-import ATF? That is good to know. How'd you find that out?

While I'm asking, do you have a readily-available coolant equivalent, or know what that is?

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 pm

jspitz wrote:
smj999smj wrote:...The original fluid is made by Castrol for Nissan and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF....
Matic-S is Castrol Multi-import ATF? That is good to know. How'd you find that out?

While I'm asking, do you have a readily-available coolant equivalent, or know what that is?

Thanks!
There was a thread on the ATF on the Xterra forum that explained the ATF specifications and Castrol was the maker of Nissan S in the USA and Multi-import ATF was the same. It was an informative article and I'll have to see if I can dig it up. As far as the antifreeze, I don't know of any direct aftermarket equivalent, but just about any green or "any color" compatible long-life coolant will work just fine. Nissan now has a blue-colored antifreeze that is compatible with the green but offers longer service life. It's not cheap, though.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”