Installed a Volant, much worse mpg

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Xterror04

Installed a Volant, much worse mpg

Postby Xterror04 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Hey all, I recently installed a volant on my wife's 2011 pathfinder... After a few miles she went from averaging 20.4 to now 18.1, the intake is all that's changed... Is there some sort of reset to do so the motor will relearn the fuel curve or something? I know on earlier models if you disconnect the maf while running and let it die out it resets the ecu...

Also the loss in mpg is not from aggressive driving, she doesn't like the "loudness" from the intake so she keeps her foot out of it...

Any helps appreciated... I love the way this thing howls and the extra pickup but don't want to sacrifice mpgs

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm

How long has she been driving it? Don't do that with the MAF, if there's a chance it'll force the ECU into limp mode then getting it to go into air idle learn is a crap shoot. The pedal dance works for some, the rest of us had to go to the dealership to pay the stupidity tax.

If you really want to start the ECU over, I'd try the air idle learn procedure pedal dance in the manual, or possibly consider asking Nissan to use their computer to do it.

There's also the possibility that the new air intake isn't as efficient at cruise as the old one. I seem to recall from the Frontier boards that few if any intakes actually resulted in additional power when measured by dyno.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Which Volant did you put on?

My testing of the Powercore filter showed it to be similar though somewhat less restrictive than stock, while the cotton filter was extremely unrestricted compared to stock.

Xterror04

Postby Xterror04 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:28 am

It's the regular oiled filter, not the power core, it's only been in for a couple hundred miles so far... We will leave it in for a few tanks of gas... But if it atleast doesn't level out I will put the stock system back in...

I will try the "pedal dance", thanks

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:38 am

What is the "Pedal Dance"? Sorry but the last to cars I really worked on were 69 Camaro and a 59 Ford Fairlane and they didn't have any computers under the hood.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 am

Xterror04 wrote:It's the regular oiled filter, not the power core, it's only been in for a couple hundred miles so far... We will leave it in for a few tanks of gas... But if it atleast doesn't level out I will put the stock system back in...

I will try the "pedal dance", thanks
Make sure the filter is not "over-oiled" (clean and re-treat with a minimal oil coating) and use MAS cleaner to clean the hotwire and see what happens. A big problem with oiled-cloth air filters is that the oil contaminates the MAS hotwire and caused incorrect readings. Relearning the Idle Air Volume would be a good idea, as well.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”