Rearend

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rangerjoe

Rearend

Postby rangerjoe » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I've got a 08 with V6..2WD...Someone just tell me can I increase my mpg by changing out the ring and pinion??? Is it a simple swap that I can do at home...

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 pm

My thinking on this matter is a result that I own a ScanGuage2, I can see instantaneous MPG [among other things]. The PF trans is so computer controlled, it NEVER gets decent MPG until 5th gear & torq converter lock-up, which happens at ~40MPH with a light foot. So to change gear ratio, I would expect more slip in the torq conv, until speed reached. A slightly larger tire may be less expensive to try than a gear change. I still vote NO.

Things I have done to eek out slightly better mileage:
My tires are inflated to 40-45 PSI
Drive with “Cruise”. Seems the electronics are better than the extremely touchy gas pedal.
I installed a VOLO FS3. Heard a Bully Dog is much better but more expensive.
MotorKote oil additive. If it can make a carbureted Stihl chain saw idle faster, must be good.
ScanGuage2. Shows how to ease up on the throttle without a performance drop. Has a “LFT” gauge that shows differences in gasoline purchases [must put in N & allow to idle for proper reading. E0 fuel IS best—10-12% better, otherwise Exxon/Mobil has been my experience]. Shows gal per hr. Did you know that at a long light you can save 10% if thrown into N or that MPG increases dramatically if thrown into N on a downhill glide more so than taking foot off of pedal?
Slow down 5-10MPH.
The 2013 has a 3.5L with a CVT. Check out the R52 section of this forum.

E0 gas in Texas: http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:05 am

Far from a "simple swap" especially if you are asking on a forum. No offense, and I understand the pump kills the wallet but changing out a ring and pinion requires multiple tools that the average do it your self guy does not have along with some knowledge of tolerances and measuring for the correct shims that will be needed.

Leave it be, if this was the ultimate answer to money saving everyone would be doing it. Nissan has it geared correctly to begin with. No need to change that unless you are drag racing.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”