Would you buy again??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mforce

Would you buy again??

Postby mforce » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm

This might be the wrong area but I will ask.? I have ran across a 05 Pathfinder SE. It only has 75K on it and it a one owner. They are asking $11500 Firm! It seems to be very well taken care of from what I can tell. We have not had a pathfinder before but have had and Xterra and loved that vehicle other then it being underpowered. But, the PF has a lot more power to it. Thanks in advance and I hope the price is good as I am planning on picking it up soon. We are trading in our 2011 Ram for it. Less price = more play $$$$$ :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Seems expensive and I'm assuming it's 4x4.

Need to research the radiator issue on these and figure out where this one stands. If it had a radiator failure it also could have caused damage to transmission.

If it's absolutely spotless, perfect maintenance, brand new tires, and has had the radiator update (and no contamination of tranny fluid) it could be worth that price. Could.

I love my PF but I've had it for 100k miles and know the history. Buying a used vehicle with that many miles (and known issues) is a bit of a gamble.

cgray

Postby cgray » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I bought my 06 with 67k on it and havent had any big issues with it. I would suggest doing the radiator by-pass to it right away just to eliminate that problem from ever happening. I had a 2001 PF with the 3.5 before buying the 06 with the 4.0 and it is a huge improvement.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm

i'd buy both of mine again :)

mforce

Postby mforce » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks everyone. I did call Nissan dealer and it has an open recall on the ecu relay. They are not moving from the 11,900 price....argh. It did drive well with no rattles either. I have a 4 runner that has the same milkshake issues so I might do both as a preventive measure. Only thing I see is the temp gauge does not work.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I tend to be somewhat negative about my cars, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I probably wouldn't buy my Pathfinder again for the main reason that it's more of a truck than an SUV. When you compare it to similar manufacturers, the Pathfinder is rough, unrefined, technologically lacking, not very thought out, lacking in the most basic of convenience features and the features it does have seem to have been thrown in as an afterthought (if you want specific examples, I can give you a thousand). It's fun to take off road or to use it for utility applications -- and I love that I'm never worried about beating it up or having it stolen -- but as an every day driver it's exhausting to drive. When someone new rides in it, the topic of conversation is always how rough it is and how uncomfortable the seats are (I have the leather seats, which have zero support).

As an example, many of the most basic convenience features in my 2001 P.O.S. VW were still not available in the 2012 top-of-the-line Pathfinders.

Also, something else to keep in mind, my Pathfinder started nickel-and-diming me around 75K miles, which, I hear, is about right.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm

DanJetta wrote:I tend to be somewhat negative about my cars, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I probably wouldn't buy my Pathfinder again for the main reason that it's more of a truck than an SUV. When you compare it to similar manufacturers, the Pathfinder is rough, unrefined, technologically lacking, not very thought out, lacking in the most basic of convenience features and the features it does have seem to have been thrown in as an afterthought (if you want specific examples, I can give you a thousand). It's fun to take off road or to use it for utility applications -- and I love that I'm never worried about beating it up or having it stolen -- but as an every day driver it's exhausting to drive. When someone new rides in it, the topic of conversation is always how rough it is and how uncomfortable the seats are (I have the leather seats, which have zero support).
This. Mine is better after lots of work on shocks and whatnot but it's still a truck. I bought mine because I loved the legroom and wanted a giant box to carry extra-large size mountain bikes without futzing with taking them apart, but there's other ways to do that.
Also, something else to keep in mind, my Pathfinder started nickel-and-diming me around 75K miles, which, I hear, is about right.
I was fortunate that most of the nickel and diming occurred under warranty. The things that didn't for me were the rear a/c and whatnot.

The good news is once you get through all of those standard issues, they don't seem to happen again. If a truck has all of them corrected or dealt with already (cam chain tensioners, radiator, rear a/c, shocks) then it's low risk for a big bill down the road.

For me I'm annoyed at having had to deal with what I consider obvious engineering design flaws, but since the time in the shop and costs are essentially behind me and my commute is only five miles or so each way, I don't have a reason to get out of the truck. It's still unbeatable for what I really wanted it for: bike trips, ski trips, beach trips driving in the snow (when I live elsewhere) and the minor off roading I have to do to get to any of those activities.

Plenty of days I'd rather be driving a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. But when my mountain bike group hits even rough fire roads on the way to a trail I'm able to leave my friend's TDI way behind...

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I empathize with the post above. We were a one-car family for the last 10 years or so. We bought an 07 Passat wagon (special ordered to get manual) and it has been a great car. Amazing driving dynamics, lots of room and decent on gas even though it's not a diesel.

I did go through suspension bushings at an alarming rate, due to all the gravel road driving. The VW is now at 220 000 km and still going strong. I bought the Pathfinder out of "pity" for the VW. So far I have not been disappointed. It's main purpose is to take us fishing, biking and brave snow drifts that wagon can't handle. It fills this niche really well ...except for the gas mileage. I find that I get into the remote fishing spots much faster as well. Washboard becomes almost unnoticeable at 80 km/h :oops:

So yes, I'd buy it again, especially as I was able to use the rad issue as a great bargaining chip to lower the price.

H.

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 pm

this is my second pathy, and i would def buy again... just not an 05. its cost me about 6K because i had the tranny/rad mix. dont get me wrong, i do love the truck.

both my 01 and current 05 were both my daily driver, have had comfy seats, moonroof, 4x4, and an amazing bose stereo, which i have no complaints about.

i personally like that its more of a truck than an SUV. and now with a lift kit on it, i love it even more. :)

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:48 pm

DanJetta wrote:...lacking in the most basic of convenience features...

As an example, many of the most basic convenience features in my 2001 P.O.S. VW were still not available in the 2012 top-of-the-line Pathfinders.
Out of curiosity, what were the features that werent available in the '12 that was in your '01 vw?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 pm

iheartmypathy wrote:
DanJetta wrote:...lacking in the most basic of convenience features...

Out of curiosity, what were the features that werent available in the '12 that was in your '01 vw?
I also had a 2001 Jetta diesel. It, like many German cars had some nifty features that many vehicles still don't have. That being said....they weren't what I consider basic conveniences. They were more "huh" features. A few I can think of....roll down all the windows with the key, power folding mirrors (common on Euro cars), power fuel door, adjustable center console, dimming side mirrors, lane change signal. Overall the two things I miss about the Jetta are GOBS of head/leg room and 50mpg.

mforce

Postby mforce » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 pm

I hope that we are making the right decision. We are supposed to pick it up on Father's Day. I wanted to wait a day or so longer but they really want to get it off the lot. We are trading in a Ram with only 9300 miles on it. It sits more then we drive it and I have to say I hate paying a payment that high on a garage queen. At 11.9 MPG the ram is a HOG!!!! I hope to get better mileage in the PF.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 am

I hope it goes well, I have been very happy with mine. I'm not disappointed with the ride or general driving dynamics. I find the interior perfectly functional and the front seats (cloth) outstanding. I can sit in them all day, and I have. When taking others the response has been the opposite reported above - generally, wow, this is really fast, quiet and smooth, and I've made no mods at all, not even airbags. We've taken road trips from NM to Tennessee and back and the pathy was great - 2 adults, 2 kids and a pile of crap in the back. Smooth, fast and 19.7 mpg over 3200 miles. Gone westwards too with 4 adults and the kids in the way back and a roof box on top, 17.8 mpg over 1200 miles. Around here I throw in dogs, camping gear, bikes on the back with a hitch rack....the utility is great. I can fold the front seat and get 8ft 2x4s in with ease.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I've had the vehicle for 18 months and about 16000 miles....maybe I'll be done with it by the time it's 8 yrs old, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 am

Whether you'll be happy with the Pathy depends largely on what you want out of it. If you're happy with your Xterra, you'll love the Pathfinder.

And I agree that once you fix the barrage of known problems, you should have many good years.

Here's a list of some of those convenience features I'm comparing that I had on my 2001 Jetta Wagon that do not come on even a 2012 Pathfinder (and I totally agree that most of these are "huh" features... well put!):
- Auto-locking doors (programmable by speed)
- Auto unlocking doors (when you pull the inside handle) - when I lock my Pathy's doors, people always fumble when they have to get out
- Auto closing sunroof (when you turn the car off)
- Auto window/sunroof open from key fob
- Key fob/key combo (rather than a separate key)
- Security chip in key fob
- Climate control that held temperature precisely where you set it
- Hatch cinch motor
- Locking fuel door
- Front hood struts
- Auto blinker (touch to blink 3 times)
- Lighted glove box
- A TON of hidden interior rear storage compartments
- Auto-leveling HID lights
- 6-Speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic
- Heated seats with 5 levels of control
- Bucket seats designed to hold the human body
- Alarm sensor for the hood as well as the fuel door

If you were to compare the 2005 VW (any model), you'll get even more:
- Multi-mode 7-speed driver-adaptable transmission with true Tiptronic
- Suspension that makes even downtown Baltimore drivable
- Freeze warning
- Umbrella compartment
- Up-facing radiating air vent
- Night-time interior ambient lighting (lights the compartment just enough to find stuff in the dark without having to turn the map lights on)
- Windshield cleaning feature that wipes 3 times after spraying, waits 3 seconds and wipes one more time
- Side mirror turn signals (this is huge when you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic)
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers

My point with this list is that the Pathfinder is a bit behind other manufacturers in terms of technology and making the ride a driver-centric experience. That said, many people are not interested in these small creature comforts and don't want them. Personally, I appreciate them and knowing that so much thought was put into the small things makes me feel good about the bigger things like safety and reliability.

As for gas mileage, you'll definitely do better with the Pathfinder. I have a V8 and I get about 19-20 on the highway (when it's flat) and 15-16 in beltway traffic.

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 pm

DanJetta wrote:Whether you'll be happy with the Pathy depends largely on what you want out of it. If you're happy with your Xterra, you'll love the Pathfinder.

And I agree that once you fix the barrage of known problems, you should have many good years.

Here's a list of some of those convenience features I'm comparing that I had on my 2001 Jetta Wagon that do not come on even a 2012 Pathfinder (and I totally agree that most of these are "huh" features... well put!):
- Auto-locking doors (programmable by speed)
- Auto unlocking doors (when you pull the inside handle) - when I lock my Pathy's doors, people always fumble when they have to get out
- Auto closing sunroof (when you turn the car off)
- Auto window/sunroof open from key fob
- Key fob/key combo (rather than a separate key)
- Security chip in key fob
- Climate control that held temperature precisely where you set it
- Hatch cinch motor
- Locking fuel door
- Front hood struts
- Auto blinker (touch to blink 3 times)
- Lighted glove box
- A TON of hidden interior rear storage compartments
- Auto-leveling HID lights
- 6-Speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic
- Heated seats with 5 levels of control
- Bucket seats designed to hold the human body
- Alarm sensor for the hood as well as the fuel door

If you were to compare the 2005 VW (any model), you'll get even more:
- Multi-mode 7-speed driver-adaptable transmission with true Tiptronic
- Suspension that makes even downtown Baltimore drivable
- Freeze warning
- Umbrella compartment
- Up-facing radiating air vent
- Night-time interior ambient lighting (lights the compartment just enough to find stuff in the dark without having to turn the map lights on)
- Windshield cleaning feature that wipes 3 times after spraying, waits 3 seconds and wipes one more time
- Side mirror turn signals (this is huge when you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic)
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers

My point with this list is that the Pathfinder is a bit behind other manufacturers in terms of technology and making the ride a driver-centric experience. That said, many people are not interested in these small creature comforts and don't want them. Personally, I appreciate them and knowing that so much thought was put into the small things makes me feel good about the bigger things like safety and reliability.

As for gas mileage, you'll definitely do better with the Pathfinder. I have a V8 and I get about 19-20 on the highway (when it's flat) and 15-16 in beltway traffic.
This post made me laugh a little. While your point is well-taken, I do find some curiosities in your post. I'm not exactly sure where you're located, but the 2001 Jetta definitely didn't have HIDs and a 6-speed auto in America back in 2001. Secondly, you mentioned these things make you feel better about reliability- the MK4 Jetta is a notorious crap box when it comes to reliability. I had one- a 2001 Jetta GLX VR6. Let's just say I'm not surprised the reliability ratings mirrored my experiences with that car. :lol: Even the flip key broke (a common issue) after only 4 years of use.

The good thing is Nissan did rectify some of the issues with the car as time went on, like the implementation of the proximity key so you can keep it in your pocket. OP, if you like your Xterra the Pathfinder is nothing new. It's still a rough BOF SUV. Much different than my other car, but I appreciate its honest workhorse nature.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”