Locking Rear Differential

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

chuck_d_54

Locking Rear Differential

Postby chuck_d_54 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 am

I guess this may be a stupid question but... I have a 05 SE Off-Road, I have been asked if it has locking rear differential and I am not sure if it does. Does anyone know if that comes stock on the Off-Road version?

NmexMAX

Re: Locking Rear Differential

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 am

chuck_d_54 wrote:I guess this may be a stupid question but... I have a 05 SE Off-Road, I have been asked if it has locking rear differential and I am not sure if it does. Does anyone know if that comes stock on the Off-Road version?
Unfortunately, no it does not.

Xterras, Frontiers and Titans have e-locking rear diffs on some models. But not in our IRS versions.

An ARB can be bought though.

chuck_d_54

Postby chuck_d_54 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 am

Well that sucks, I think I am going to be getting rid of my Pathy soon and getting a Frontier anyway. Gotta stick with Nissan because my Pathfinder has been so great. Thanks for the info!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
chuck_d_54 wrote:I guess this may be a stupid question but... I have a 05 SE Off-Road, I have been asked if it has locking rear differential and I am not sure if it does. Does anyone know if that comes stock on the Off-Road version?

Xterras, Frontiers and Titans have e-locking rear diffs on some models. But not in our IRS versions.

Pathfinders do have an electronic locking differential (e-diff) using ABS. It's not awesome (mine failed to get me out of snow until I put it in 4WD Low) but we do have it.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 am

ShipFixer wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:

Pathfinders do have an electronic locking differential (e-diff) using ABS. It's not awesome (mine failed to get me out of snow until I put it in 4WD Low) but we do have it.
I wouldn't call it a locking diff, not even close.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:32 am

NmexMAX wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:Unfortunately, no it does not.

I wouldn't call it a locking diff, not even close.
You'll have to take that one up with the Truth in Advertising Commission :-)

It's what e-diffs are. They provide enough locking for most people while preserving the low-speed maneuverability and cost of an open differential. It works for the real target customer and is a pretty good low cost engineering solution.

Won't work for real off roading (or three feet of snow, ask me how I know) but it works well enough for most of us most of the time.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 am

ShipFixer wrote:
You'll have to take that one up with the Truth in Advertising Commission :-)

It's what e-diffs are. They provide enough locking for most people while preserving the low-speed maneuverability and cost of an open differential. It works for the real target customer and is a pretty good low cost engineering solution.

Won't work for real off roading (or three feet of snow, ask me how I know) but it works well enough for most of us most of the time.

ABLS (active brake limited slip) is not a locking diff in any way. it's limited slip, with help from abs. no where in the acronym does it say "locking".

when ABLS engages it does not lock the diff at all, it merely brakes the spinning wheel so that the diff will be forced (by nature of an open diff) to then transfer most power to the other wheel.

but yeah in offroading it's "eh". you have to but at relatively high rpms for ABLS to kick in, and in offroading that's always dangerous (for breaking something).

however if you're doing any -serious- offroading you should already have a locking rear anyway. ABLS was just a cheap and relatively effective way to help traction since all the parts were already there (just needed some programming).

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:17 am

Nissan really should have included it in the Pathfinder/Armada. Afterall, it was an option on Xterras, Frontiers and Titans. That system wont even allow you to engage it unless the vehicle is in 4Lo and less than 4 MPH, and alternatively deactivates ABS and VDC.

Another by-product of the bastard child/random IRS idea.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 pm

doctahjones wrote: ABLS (active brake limited slip) is not a locking diff in any way. it's limited slip, with help from abs. no where in the acronym does it say "locking".
It's also known as EDL or ELD by multiple manufacturers, which do have "locking" in them. What's next, is AWD really 4WD, and what do we do about those pesky LE's (again)? ;-)

If we're going to go tit for tat, it's not "limited slip" with ABS at all. It's an open differential. A limited slip differential involves any of several designs to prevent unlimited wheelspin on either side. Ours is intentionally open.
when ABLS engages it does not lock the diff at all, it merely brakes the spinning wheel so that the diff will be forced (by nature of an open diff) to then transfer most power to the other wheel.
I understand the difference pretty well. The functional allocation here is the same (are you locking one shaft to another mechanically, or locking/arresting wheelspin?) therefore industry gets away with very similar terms on the sale.

Purists can weep in their beer but I can come up with plenty of engineering or other examples where titles are arguably incorrect. Turbines often have a "synchronous self-shifting clutch" which doesn't shift anything and is sort of a clutch. Are piece-wise linear control systems really all that linear? For that matter, is Newton's linear theory of gravity really linear if its only linear under very bounded conditions? The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire after all. I clip into clipless bicycle pedals...

With enough margaritas I could keep going... :-D

Anyway, it does work well for most conditions outside of hard core off roading. Until mine got stuck in three feet of soft snow (I really high-centered on it) I was the *only* thing driving in two feet of snow successfully, with no lift. Saw plenty of erstwhile capable 4WD vehicles not so lucky.

If serious off road is the goal...maybe not a Pathfinder...but I really don't worry about mine getting stuck in anything.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:26 am

ShipFixer wrote: What's next, is AWD really 4WD, and what do we do about those pesky LE's (again)? ;-)
I suppose I should get rid of my 4WD emblems after all.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am

No worries, the LE's AWD system is lockable, hence you can keep your 4x4 badges
:P

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 am

RacerZX wrote:No worries, the LE's AWD system is lockable, hence you can keep your 4x4 badges
:P
Thought a little dose of sarcasma was on order. I've locked it in 4Lo plenty of times.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”