PF new and used lubricants analysis

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

PF new and used lubricants analysis

Postby Gray » Wed May 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I checked with a local engineering company which does used oil analysis as well as analysis of coolant fluids if needed for various fleet managers around the city but has no problem doing the same for an individual account. The engineer who I talked to said that he'd throw in the cost of doing the new oil fluid analysis to establish a baseline, and at $14 per analysis and a report within 24 hours it sounds like a fair price. When I get the numbers I'll put them up on the board if it helps give others some idea of what their engine, differentials, transmission and transfer case wear is doing, although that probably depends on the vehicle and lube oils used.

Last edited by Gray on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu May 22, 2008 5:54 am

I've used Blackstone Labs in the past, $30 includes TBN in addition to wear metal analysis, viscosity, % water, glycol, and probably a couple of others I'm missing. They send you a convenient little shipping kit.

I haven't sent any samples in lately, since 17k miles. At 42k I'm probably due for another checkup.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 am

First is a VOA, Virgin Oil Analysis for Motul 8100 Etech Lite 0W30 oil;

Second is the same oil used for about 4200kms/2500 miles in the truck;

Some BITOG comments on the same oil interval and usage;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ost1164450

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:11 am

I'll put up some additional VOA/UOA's for the differentials, transfer case and transmission
comparing those when time allows.

If any have done similar I'm sure new users would like to see the results.

Npath

Re: PF new and used lubricants analysis

Postby Npath » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 am

This is awesome Greybrick! This is one of the most interesting subjects I've read in any Nissan forum.

Npath

Postby Npath » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 pm

I forgot to ask something about the oil analysis... Did you have a cold air intake or drop in filter?

If you have a CAI without the foam wrap or dry filter charger that wraps around it, it would filter more.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Npath wrote:I forgot to ask something about the oil analysis... Did you have a cold air intake or drop in filter?

If you have a CAI without the foam wrap or dry filter charger that wraps around it, it would filter more.
I've gone back to an Nissan OEM cellulose drop in filter after trying the K&N drop in briefly. The best nanofiber drop in filter that I've found so far is the Amsoil/Donaldson filter media from the other thread. I'm not real interested in the CAI as I think those could pull in some water with some of the driving I do. I might even put a foam prefilter in front of the Amsoil drop in though.

I looked at your filter thread on the NissanHelp site and had a look at the AEM nanofiber filters but even phoning AEM they don't have a drop in for this truck yet.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”