Low Yearly Mileage Oil/Filter Change Interval

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Low Yearly Mileage Oil/Filter Change Interval

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 am

here's the situation.........
we have two R51s
our yearly average driving mileage is somewhere around 2,000 miles each
average driving each trip is 15-25 miles
we use (and have always used) Mobil 1 oil, and OEM filters
we've been changing oil & filter every 6 months (about 1000 miles)
this gets expensive, both in cost and time/effort, when considering the cost per mile
we don't want to switch from Mobil 1
do you think it would be a bad idea to:
change oil less frequently?
change filter less frequently, maybe every other oil change?
both?
thanks!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

I just listened to a Car Talk episode where someone was asking the same thing, actually!

The consensus was that you should still change your oil at least every 6 months because it absorbs moisture which normally burns off when the engine reaches operating temperature. If you're not driving enough to burn that moisture off, it collects and sits inside your engine. That's why they also recommended going through a full tank of gas at least every month. It's all about preventing corrosion of internal parts.

Remember that short, infrequent trips are considered "harsh driving conditions" for an engine and are said to be harder on it than driving, say, 15,000 highway miles per year.

We just filmed a commercial with a Ferrari. The owner owns 8 of them and hires a guy to drive each one for an hour per month to prevent internal engine and fuel line corrosion. If I had time, I'd gladly volunteer for that job!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 am

Given your driving habits and use of a premium oil and filer, I don't see a need to replace your oil and filter more than once a year. I couldn't find anything in my Pathfinder manual about a maximum time interval between oil changes. The owner's manual for my wife's Acura states that the oil in it should be changed annually if the mileage interval is not met within a year. So once a year oil changes doesn't seem out of line. Personally, I drive my Pathfinder 18-20k miles a year and change the oil about 3 times a year using Mobil 1 oil and filter. My Jeep is a different case. I put 2500-3000 miles a year on my Jeep and I change its oil(conventional) once a year.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 am

I must've missed that episode of CarTalk. You can disregard my previous post if you'd like.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:28 pm

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I've used Mobil 1 since the first oil change. I change the oil every 3,000 miles (once a year) :lol: After over 12 years, it's still running smooth.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 pm

thanks all!
for now I think i'll stick to 6 month interval/oil & filter w/Mobil 1
it may be a bit overkill, but perhaps in the long run...............

marc515

Postby marc515 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:48 pm

I have a 2002 Chevy S-10, and once I was out of warranty I began 10,000 mile oil changes using Mobil 1, and Fram extended Oil Filter.

I retired 2 years ago, and do not put anywhere near the mileage on her any more, and now change the oil every 12 months or so.

She's got 112,000 miles on her and still running strong.

Decades ago I used to change every 3,000, but that was before synthetic. The oils now-a-days are far superior, so I see no need wasting oil and $$.

Additionally, most vehicles start to fall apart way before the engine begins to wear out.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:00 pm

For your driving, once a year, with Amsoil would be my recommendation. About 150 bucks if you do it yourself.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m ... /gasoline/

I have used them for years, and swear by them.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:26 pm

BigEz wrote:For your driving, once a year, with Amsoil would be my recommendation. About 150 bucks if you do it yourself.

:shock: :o $150.00 plus my labor? No thanks!
right now, each oil & filter change costs me about $35.00 and I do the labor myself (I don't mind)
so both trucks get fresh Mobil 1 & OEM filter twice a year for less than half the $$$ of your Amsoil recommendation :)
thanks, i'll stick with what i'm doing............

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

BigEz wrote:For your driving, once a year, with Amsoil would be my recommendation. About 150 bucks if you do it yourself.

Holy cow, I'd have to think long and hard about that oil change. Set aside a budget as well, eat ramen the prior 2 weeks. Is it really that costly?

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:03 am

$75 per Pathy for 25K miles.. And only changing oil once every 12-16 months seemed cheaper with less hassle to me?? ... Sorry

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 am

eieio wrote:....for now I think i'll stick to 6 month interval/oil & filter w/Mobil 1........
Reviving an old post but if you want the definitive answer instead of relying on the consensus of individuals who don't have first hand access to your specific vehicle, send the oil out for Analysis.

Blackstone Labs, at 6mo's withdraw a sample or while doing your normal change send them a sample of it. ~$25 and you get a broad analysis or you can pay ~$10 additional to get the TBN test performed on the sample (Blackstones site will spell out all of the tests performed). You will know exactly what elements/compounds, water, fuel, and detergents are present in the oil and they will give you recommendations on what you should do or you can proceed with how you feel comfortable.

Personally I change my oil once every year to year and one-half at 5k +/-100mi or sooner if circumstances require. My lab results are always good and indicate I can go longer between changes.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 am

damn i wish i put that amount of miles on mine. i average 1-3k a month.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”