Engine oil consumption

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Engine oil consumption

Zero oil consumption or topup between changes
100%
1 quart topup oil between changes
No votes
More than 1 quart topup oil between changes
No votes

Total votes: 5

Gray

Engine oil consumption

Postby Gray » Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 am

I've been fairly pleased with this V6 as there is no engine oil consumption between 5K to 8K kms oil changes so far at this trucks 30K kms, but was wondering if other owners are experiencing similar, or do some have to add oil between changes. Thanks.
Last edited by Gray on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed May 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Our Pathfinder only has 6,000 miles on it, so no oil use is kind of expected. However, we have a VQ30 in our Maxima with 145k and it also uses no oil, at all.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 am

Haha, not many answers on this one. The purpose of the posting is to get some info which would be informative to new PF buyers as to the quality of the VQ40 engine build and so that present owners could have a yardstick as to how their engine is doing in terms of oil consumption in relation to others. Hopefully there are more than three owners on the forum who are keeping an eye on their trucks oil consumption. :)

Thanks for putting up your oil consumption/usage numbers.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Greybrick wrote:Hopefully there are more than three owners on the forum who are keeping an eye on their trucks oil consumption. :)
If I go for a long drive (1,000+ miles), then I keep an eye on it. No consumption or concerns so far. Otherwise, I'm not worried since it's a new vehicle & I still have another 2 years worth of free dealer oil changes (every 3,000 miles). Yes, I check the stick before and after each service.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Almost 50k haven't burned a drop, longest I've let it go w/o an oil change is only 6k.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Fofiddy wrote:Almost 50k haven't burned a drop, longest I've let it go w/o an oil change is only 6k.
Thanks, I haven't heard of any others having oil usage issues with the VQ40's either but thought I'd put the poll up to see if there were some percentage of trucks with some usage.

Looking through the BITOG used oil analysis section, I see all kinds of fairly new engines of various makes with high wear metals and usage needing makeup oil between changes. Makes me happier all the time that we chose this particular truck. :)

markspath

Postby markspath » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:17 am

Just turned 18K miles and I don't use a drop of oil between 5k-mile changes using Mobil-1.

The old oil looks very clean coming out, but I'm going to check it more closely next change since I've put in a K&N air filter -- if the oil looks dirtier than normal the K&N is coming out and I'll switch to an Amsoil or other synthetic media filter.

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:31 pm

MARKSPATH wrote:Just turned 18K miles and I don't use a drop of oil between 5k-mile changes using Mobil-1.

The old oil looks very clean coming out, but I'm going to check it more closely next change since I've put in a K&N air filter -- if the oil looks dirtier than normal the K&N is coming out and I'll switch to an Amsoil or other synthetic media filter.
Don't burn oil and have put on 24000+KM. I change every 3000+KM at the dealership. I get 4 a year with the VIP plan I purchased at the dealership when I bought the SUV new.

Keep us posted if the oil seems more dirty with the K&N.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”