V6 Rear timing cover oil leak?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

V6 Rear timing cover oil leak?

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

I've been starting to hear of some R51 owners having oil leaks at the rear timing cover on their VQ40DE engines. I've heard comments like the dealer tech says it might be "the next big problem" on the R51's and some state the rear cover needs to be replaced to fix this concern. Anyone have any news or information on this? Are the rear covers cracking?

ShipFixer

Re: V6 Rear timing cover oil leak?

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:40 am

smj999smj wrote:I've been starting to hear of some R51 owners having oil leaks at the rear timing cover on their VQ40DE engines. I've heard comments like the dealer tech says it might be "the next big problem" on the R51's and some state the rear cover needs to be replaced to fix this concern. Anyone have any news or information on this? Are the rear covers cracking?
The dealership that did my timing chain tensioner fix said that exact thing in 2009 - and that they expected to see a lot of it on V-8's as well.

I think I have a pesky leak somewhere in my oil cooler assembly that I can live with, but none from the rear of the engine...

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I've heard of this on the VQ35 which I also own (Quest 3.5) and as a matter of fact this past weekend I was under there with a mirror and a flashlight and I saw it , it's a tiny leak but it's the begining I assume. I've not seen it on my Pathy so far.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:23 pm

To the OP, I misunderstood your question when you said timing cover and I thought you meant valve cover. :?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I've seen this issue on the VQ30DE in the older Maximas, in which case they would need to remove and reseal the rear cover. I'm just wondering why I'm hearing people say the dealer told them they need to replace the rear cover, rather than reseal it. I'm wondering if the cover is cracking or they are just selling the cover to cover their butts.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”