High pitched whining noise at 2k rpm.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

PC5

High pitched whining noise at 2k rpm.

Postby PC5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Good evening gentlemen, I have a 05 pathfinder with 99800 on the odo adn wife came home today saying she hears a high pitched whining starting at around 2k rpm and she says it goes away once you go through that rpm and on up. I can reproduce it while in park and run it up to 2k.

Any idea what this might be?

on a side note getting ready to change plugs in it also.

Thanks for all help, its much appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:52 pm

It's tough to say without hearing the noise, but it could be that your upper timing chain tensioner pads (aka "feet") have worn through, which is a common problem on 05-10 VQ40DE engines. There's plenty of info about it here at the forums and on the web, as well, along with a Nissan TSB detailing the repair and parts needed. If you go to YouTube, search "Nissan VQ40DE timing chain noise" or "Frontier timing chain whine" and you should be able to get a few hits. Then you can compare your noise to those on YouTube.

PC5

Postby PC5 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 am

smj999smj wrote:It's tough to say without hearing the noise, but it could be that your upper timing chain tensioner pads (aka "feet") have worn through, which is a common problem on 05-10 VQ40DE engines. There's plenty of info about it here at the forums and on the web, as well, along with a Nissan TSB detailing the repair and parts needed. If you go to YouTube, search "Nissan VQ40DE timing chain noise" or "Frontier timing chain whine" and you should be able to get a few hits. Then you can compare your noise to those on YouTube.
Hey thanks much for the help, I will go start my research now.

PC5

Postby PC5 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 am

Thats exactly the sound it is making. Whats ball park cost of that to repair, and will it damage anything else if. Wifes car and wont be able to fix it for a week.

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 am

If you are taking it to a dealer, I've heard prices in the $1200-1400 range. An independent shop would likely be a lot cheaper. I believe most shops are charging around 8 hours labor. There are a number of parts, including the two secondary timing chains, two tensioner "feet," some seals, RTV and coolant. The parts are all listed on the TSB. Some take it further and also replace the primary timing chain and/or tensioner and the guides, thermostat and/or drive belts. If you are still running your original radiator, this is a good opportunity to replace it to avoid the fluid contamination issues that are common with the 05-10 Pathfinders.

PC5

Postby PC5 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks for the info, I have already went through the new tranny and radiator ordeal but it was covered under ext. warranty.

I will go ahead and replace it all while everything is apart.

Thanks very much for the help.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”