WHAT YEAR TRANSMISSIONS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH MY 08 SE?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jb1194

WHAT YEAR TRANSMISSIONS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH MY 08 SE?

Postby jb1194 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 am

I RECENTLY PICKED UP A 2008 SE 4.0 WITH A BAD TRANSMISSION. THE PRODUCTION DATE IS 07/07 AND CARPART.COM SAYS I MUST USE A TRANSMISSION FROM A PATHFINDER MANUFACTURED FROM 07/07 ON. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE AND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Here's what I know from replacing a couple of VW transmissions in the past (I hope this is helpful, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

Transmissions usually have a transmission code that applies to your model and has been designed for your chassis and engine. Often, transmissions with a different code from the same model will fit your car and function but will not operate entirely as intended. For example, a transmission from a VW Golf Diesel might fit into a VW GTI, but the difference in gear ratios will cause a loss in power, increased fuel consumption and awkward shift points.

As far as going with your production date and up, I think that's just a "best practice" guideline rather than a hard and fast requirement. Manufacturers usually don't change a transmission drastically (if at all) during a body style run unless there is a known design defect (which I don't think the Pathfinder trannies had for R51s).

To be sure, it may be worth calling a few Nissan service managers. From my experience, they know about as much as the minimum wage guy who changes your oil at Walmart, which is why I seriously call 3 and take the average of the answers I get.

Good luck!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”