which radiator did you use?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

which radiator did you use?

Postby doctahjones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 am

didn't exactly see a tread like this when i searched, sooooo....

for those that have replaced your radiator, which did you use and where did you get it? any particular reason for using or not using OEM?

i've crossed the 80k mark and am going to order a new rad this week.

i've checked courtesyparts and they seem to want $463+s/h which i think is a little ridiculous.

advanceauto and oreilly has one for $185.

so while i'm not exactly looking for -the- cheapest radiator, i'm not going to pay $463 for one either. i'm fine with going into the 200-250 range if the radiator is really worth it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 am

I went OEM for a couple reasons. I bought from Courtesy Nissan (part# 21460-9CA0E). $460 delivered. I called instead of using the online order and got a better deal on shipping. Local dealer couldn't/wouldn't touch that price.

The main reason is because all the aftermarkets I found seemed to have the same part for 2005-2012 which doesn't line up with what we know: that the connections/fittings changed in 2008. So i'm not sure what you actually end up with on the aftermarket and if it would require some sort of adapter to fit in the '08+. For an extra $200 I know the OEM goes in with no issues whatsoever and connects straight to the OEM lines.

If I had a pre 2008 model I would probably consider the aftermarkets more because there are others here that have used them without issue. I've yet to find anyone with an '08+ that's used an aftermarket radiator. If someone has and it goes in as clean as an OEM...then I might give it more consideration.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 am

rockauto has a TYC rad with lifetime warranty for $115.

SMJ bought an ebay chinese rad with lifetime warranty for less than $100.

I don't think the OE rad is worth the money, especially since they've never really told anyone what they did to fix the problem!

t

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:09 am

I went with the updated OEM just for peace of mind. I paid just under $450 from AAANissanParts.com (which is a Nissan dealer up in New York). Their web site is a tad sketchy but they were super nice.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 am

You doing this for peace of mind? I'm about 300 miles shy of 80k, so I'm also looking into this.

Recently the AC condenser fan took a dump, or at least that's what I think it is (no cooling when stopped/slow speeds and fan is dead, doesn't flip on when prompted by the relay).

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:52 am

NmexMAX wrote:You doing this for peace of mind? I'm about 300 miles shy of 80k, so I'm also looking into this.

definitely. would rather spend a couple hundred now than chance $3-4k later.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 am

I paid $92 (free shipping) from Parts Express on Ebay; since then, the price has dropped to $74. It fit perfect in my 06 and have no complaints. I installed new foam seals that I got from Nissan. If I didn't go with the Chinese-made unit, I probably would have went with Spectra Premium, which is made in Canada and last I checked could be had for $160 online. I wouldn't pay $460 or higher for a genuine Nissan radiator...and I'm usually partial towards genuine Nissan parts. For that price range, you can get an all-aluminum radiator from Griffin.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 am

Rockauto has a few options ranging from 70 some $'s to 160$ I believe. I may in fact go that route.

Cruzin1a

Re: which radiator did you use?

Postby Cruzin1a » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am

I almost started a new thread asking this same question, so I thought this thread deserved a bump.
doctahjones wrote:didn't exactly see a tread like this when i searched, sooooo....

for those that have replaced your radiator, which did you use and where did you get it? any particular reason for using or not using OEM?

i've crossed the 80k mark and am going to order a new rad this week.

i've checked courtesyparts and they seem to want $463+s/h which i think is a little ridiculous.

advanceauto and oreilly has one for $185.

so while i'm not exactly looking for -the- cheapest radiator, i'm not going to pay $463 for one either. i'm fine with going into the 200-250 range if the radiator is really worth it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”