Dash"check engine" light resolved. EGR valve issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Willapps

Dash"check engine" light resolved. EGR valve issue

Postby Willapps » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:12 pm

So, had my 08 pathfinder for a couple of months when the little orange light pops on the dash... Quick pop into garage, plug in computer and fault code shows egr issue, they say not uncommon, hit the reset button to clear the code, and tell me it isn't serious and to keep driving and see if it pops up again, whereupon they would check the egr function and replace if needed, big £££s though :(
Light came on, went off on its own a couple of times over the next 200or so miles. Figured its a sensor fault so would leave it until I have spare cash to sort, didn't impact on driving or fuel economy.
Finally it came on and stayed on, so had a quick look myself. Figured if it was stuck, a clean and lube might help :)
Removed the plastic soundproof cover and accessed the pipe that carries exhaust gases into the egr. Removed 2x12mm bolts and could just move pipe away to access valve jobbie flap bit. Gave a wipe and clean, and a good squirt of penetrating oil. Also removed wiring plug and gave this a clean and squirt.
Re-assemble the bolts and start up to check function. All good.

That was 300 miles ago, and so far all is well, all working well and with no light on dash :)
Don't want to go down the blanking route, but this was a 5min job worth trying if you are having problems...

2.5L diesel UK spec pathfinder aventura, stock everything.
31-32 average mpg by tank-tank fill/check over last 2000miles/5fills.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”