Exhaust leak

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Exhaust leak

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 am

All,

I've used the search and can't seem to find my problem. I have an 08 V8 with 68K miles. Within the last month a new noise as started coming from the passenger side. To my limited knowledge it sounds like an exhaust leak. It makes a flutter sound only when there is pressure, like stepping hard on the gas. During normal driving or idle, the sound is not there. So I took it to a local exahust shop and they just called back and said without removing parts, free estimate, the leak is coming from the manifold gasket. He's not 100% sure but all indications are telling him the manifold gasket. He then informed me that this replacement is over 12 hrs of labor to the tune of over $1,000.

My question to you is, my Pathfinder is a certified pre-owned. Would this type of repair fall under the "drivetrain" warranty that is covered under the pre-owned warranty? Its not a normal wear and tear item. Is there a recall that I might have missed in my search about this gasket? Any help you all can provide would be very beneficial. Thanks.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Exhaust leak

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:19 am

volvite wrote:All,

I've used the search and can't seem to find my problem. I have an 08 V8 with 68K miles. Within the last month a new noise as started coming from the passenger side. To my limited knowledge it sounds like an exhaust leak. It makes a flutter sound only when there is pressure, like stepping hard on the gas. During normal driving or idle, the sound is not there. So I took it to a local exahust shop and they just called back and said without removing parts, free estimate, the leak is coming from the manifold gasket. He's not 100% sure but all indications are telling him the manifold gasket. He then informed me that this replacement is over 12 hrs of labor to the tune of over $1,000.

My question to you is, my Pathfinder is a certified pre-owned. Would this type of repair fall under the "drivetrain" warranty that is covered under the pre-owned warranty? Its not a normal wear and tear item. Is there a recall that I might have missed in my search about this gasket? Any help you all can provide would be very beneficial. Thanks.
no recall, but may be covered under your warranty
warranty policies are written very specifically as far as component coverage and exclusions
is the exhaust system included in the "powertrain"?
not having a copy of it, hard to say.......
is your warranty only good at a Nissan Dealership?
if so, you'll no doubt have to take the truck there for diagnosis and determination

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:28 am

is this the warranty that you have?
http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/buying/N-7 ... imized.pdf
if so, it shows that intake & exhaust manifolds, seals & gaskets are covered components
but I have no doubt that the Nissan dealer will need to verify what the problem is before making a determination for coverage

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:31 am

eieio,

Thanks for the replys. I took a quick lunch break from work and went and picked up the pathfinder. I tore my glove box apart and found my warranty book. According to the book;

"What is covered"

Engine: Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump and fuel pump, fuel injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and turbocharger, flywheel, seals, and gaskets.

I then drove it over to the local dealership that helped me with the fuel sending unit replacement last month and he confirmed in more detail what is actually covered under the warranty. He told me I would have to agree to pay the diagnostic fee if they discovered it was not a warranty part, but if it is covered under warranty I would not have to pay anything.

I agreed to this and have an appointment set up for Thursday this week to have them look at it.

Also thanks for the link. Basically the same thing as my warranty booklet.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

sounds good :)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 am

Thought I'd give the outcome.

After 8hrs of trying to find the leak, they discovered that the passenger side exhaust manifold had large crack. They ended up replacing the manifold, gasket, bolt and 2 studs. They didn't give me a price on my print out as it all fell under warranty.

I then took the car on a trip, no problem with the exhaust, but after 50 miles, when we exited the pathfinder, my wife asked what the burnning rubber smell was. Come to find out the tech failed to reinstall the passenger side wheel liner completly. They had the rear done, but left the front unbolted and the tire just burned right through the liner. Stopped by this morning and they ordered me a new liner.

Overall happy that the manifold was repaired under warranty but did not like them completing the job the first time.

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:57 am

Glad they got it figured out and it didn't cost you anything out-of-pocket.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

Cracked exhaust manifolds on the 5.6L are pretty common. They are already offering them on the aftermarket. Dorman makes a kit.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Yup, had my passenger side covered under the emissions warranty 8yr/80k since the V8 the cat convertor and manifold are 1 piece. I had 74k at the time.

Just rolled over 80k this morning. :cry:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 pm

NmexMAX wrote:Yup, had my passenger side covered under the emissions warranty 8yr/80k since the V8 the cat convertor and manifold are 1 piece. I had 74k at the time.

Did you post on this forum about the replacement? I thought I had seen something before, but after 2 days of searching the forum I didn't see anything, that's why I created my post. I hate starting new threads when someone else has already had the same issue.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:36 am

volvite wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:Yup, had my passenger side covered under the emissions warranty 8yr/80k since the V8 the cat convertor and manifold are 1 piece. I had 74k at the time.

Did you post on this forum about the replacement? I thought I had seen something before, but after 2 days of searching the forum I didn't see anything, that's why I created my post. I hate starting new threads when someone else has already had the same issue.
I did, not sure where. But it wasn't a new thread or anything.

It's all over the titan forums with info on it. I just hope the other side holds up.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”