What extra parts are needed to replace an 08' radiator?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

qek585

What extra parts are needed to replace an 08' radiator?

Postby qek585 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:16 pm

I just bought an 08 pathfinder a few weeks ago, and decided to be proactive and change the radiator to avoid the dreaded transmission fail. After reading some of your posts online, it seems that there are slight differences btw the 08' radiators and the earlier models.

Like a lot of other people I just bought an aftermarket radiator online for $80 or so. I'm not sure why, but people are saying that you need some extra parts or something to make aftermarkets fit properly. So, I'm asking what it is I need in order to get it in. It would suck to have to take it out to realize I have to put it back in. PLease give me some advice, as I'm not very experienced when dealing with cars.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:00 am

I've yet to see anyone on the forum use an aftermarket in an '08+ so it looks like you'll be the first. The only difference I'm aware of is the inlet/outlet placement of the lines. You may find you need to modify or run extra lines to get it hooked up. Your best bet will be to take a look at the new radiator and climb underneath to compare.

qek585

Postby qek585 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Will do. That sounds like what I've read, but I wasn't too sure if its the only difference. So, you think I just need some longer hoses?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm

qek585 wrote:So, you think I just need some longer hoses?
Hard to say. My guess you'll have to splice in a piece on the one run but I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it was laid out. I know splicing in pieces doesn't give me any warm/fuzzies.

I wondered if perhaps the rad manufacturers didn't include some sort of an adapter kit for the '08+ but nobody installing these on older models ever mentioned any extra parts. My guess is they don't even know there's a difference.

Be sure to follow-up after you make the swap and let us know what you find. I think more and more '08+ owners are going to want to do something once they blow through the extended warranty.

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

Just swapped my radiator with an aftermarket one last weekend. Had no choice but to pick one up locally for a bit more money vs ordering online because the leak was so bad that it would leak half the coolant on the ground in a matter of hours.

The radiator was a direct bolt on, made by AutoCool, picked it up at a local Hot Spot Auto Parts for $220 taxes in. The job took me about 5 hours. Just search this forum, few guys did it on a V8 but steps for a V6 are pretty much identical.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”