Radiator replaced at 60K miles...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

TConder

Radiator replaced at 60K miles...

Postby TConder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 pm

I just signed papers to take ownership of a 2008 Pathfinder(havent taken delivery yet). This will be my first pathfinder and now I am concerned about this whole transmission/radiator issue. Looking at the carfax it shows the radiator was replaced at about 60K miles. Will this fix the issue spoken about in other posts or should I still be concerned? The vehicle has just shy of 80K miles. Please advise before I take delivery Tues/Wed of this week. Thank you for your time.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Refer to this post:

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9637

And there's a lot of info under the section "transmission failure." Chances are you have the "updated" radiator, but we are still not sure how to determine the "updated" ones from the older design. Nissan did change the part number, which we assumed meant it was the updated design, but then we started seeing some failures under the new number. So, unless they put an aftermarket radiator into it, which is unlikely especially if it was done under warranty, there is no way to be 100% sure you have an updated design radiator.

TConder

Postby TConder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Thank you for the information. If I took it to a Nissan shop would they be able to tell if it is an "updated" radiator? Anything I can do to prevent further issues just in case? I know you have limited information about my specific vehicle but gut opinion would you still take delivery of the vehicle?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm

why was the radiator replaced at 60K miles?

TConder

Postby TConder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:54 pm

I am not sure, the carfax doesn't say. I will be the 4th owner so no way to find out why it was replaced...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 am

TConder wrote:I am not sure, the carfax doesn't say. I will be the 4th owner so no way to find out why it was replaced...
I don't want to scare you off buying the truck, but I think i'd really want to know why it got a new radiator
Something to consider: the radiator may have been replaced due to failure resulting in coolant contamination of the trans fluid
If the transmission was not replaced at that time, it may be damaged/compromised as a result..............
OTOH, it may have been replaced for some other reason
If it was replaced under warranty, a dealership may be willing to access the warranty repair history and shed some light on the repair
You might bring a copy of your pending purchases paperwork to the service manager of a dealership, and offer to pay a reasonable amount for the info.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 am

Nissan dealer wouldn't be able to tell you any more than we can, since there is no information that states a specific part number radiator is an "updated" version and since we have had reported failures with radiators with the superceded part #.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

smj999smj wrote:Nissan dealer wouldn't be able to tell you any more than we can, since there is no information that states a specific part number radiator is an "updated" version and since we have had reported failures with radiators with the superceded part #.
yes, but a warranty claim inquiry might shed some light on the reason for replacement
my concern would be about possible transmission damage if the radiator was replaced for the coolant contamination issue, but the transmission was not

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 pm

If it was done under another owner, they probably won't give that information. When I purchased my 06 Pathy a year and a have ago, I noticed the Nissan red RTV on the front timing cover, indicating that the front cover had been removed (the front cover RTV is grey from the factory). I asked if they could look into the warranty and tell me if it was off to have the updated upper timing chains and tensioner feet installed, they told me they couldn't release that information to me being that I wasn't the owner at the time.

alien_bug

Postby alien_bug » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Call Nissan North in Columbus Ohio. The service department read off all the warranty work previously done to my '05 before I bought it from a private owner. I found trans/rad, fuel sender, ECU and a few other things had been warranted.

smj999smj wrote:If it was done under another owner, they probably won't give that information. When I purchased my 06 Pathy a year and a have ago, I noticed the Nissan red RTV on the front timing cover, indicating that the front cover had been removed (the front cover RTV is grey from the factory). I asked if they could look into the warranty and tell me if it was off to have the updated upper timing chains and tensioner feet installed, they told me they couldn't release that information to me being that I wasn't the owner at the time.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”