VQ40DE ring gear stopper lower price

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

VQ40DE ring gear stopper lower price

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm

For replacing the upper timing chains on the VQ40DE, the ring gear stopper is almost an essential tool unless one wants to remove the upper plenum and valve covers. I bought mine from Suzuki for around $100 w/ shipping (the Suzuki Equator is a re-badged Frontier) a few months ago. Since then, they have lowered the price to $47.99+shipping (about $20 ground). If anyone needs one, here's the link:

https://suzukipitstopplus.com/Products/ ... opper.aspx

alien_bug

Postby alien_bug » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I have 99K on mine. How often should the chains be replaced? Going on a long trip in a few weeks from Columbus Ohio to Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower and some other cool stuff. I'm excited to take the new Pathfinder so if I should do this first let me know, thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm

There's no need to replace them if they aren't making noise. Many have had the upper chains cut into the plastic tensioner 'feet' until they start contacting the tensioner plunger and create a loud "whine," sounding much like a bad P/S pump noise. You can search it on YouTube and hear the noise for yourself if you've never heard it. Supposedly, Nissan make the links of the new upper chains less sharp, but I couldn't tell any difference when I compared them to the old chains.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”