What does it mean to take care of your pathy?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cabinpath

What does it mean to take care of your pathy?

Postby cabinpath » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Just got an 08' SE 4.0 with 52k... I would like to take great care of it. I was never a "car person" so I'm not sure what does it mean to take really good care of your car...

I can follow the schedule maintenance of course but if someone could shine some light on what one SHOULD do to make sure his pathy reaches old age - that will be great..

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 am

keep on with scheduled maint and such. both my grandfathers were mechanics (one taught automotive mech at a georgia jr college, the other worked on farm equip. both were mechanics in ww2). and always said as long as you keep changing the oil your car should run forever.

i like to get mine washed at least once every two weeks, if not every week. that also includes at least a light vacuum and wipe down. i take it to a car wash place and get a 'detail' (not -detail- detail, but their most expensive regular wash that includes leather conditioner and extra wipe down for the inside) job once every 4-6 weeks.

if you live up north i'd suggest taking it to a spray car wash after each snow storm when they put sand/chemicals down and try to give your undercarriage a good spray down. at least that's what i'm planning on doing (it's my first full winter in denver).

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Become familiar with the recommend maintenance intervals in your owners manual. The spark plugs should be good for 100k miles. The engine has a timing chain so there's no timing belt to change.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 am

doctahjones wrote: i like to get mine washed at least once every two weeks, if not every week.
I wash mine twice a year. It's an exercise in futility when parking outside, especially where I'm located.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 am

NVSteve wrote:
doctahjones wrote: i like to get mine washed at least once every two weeks, if not every week.
I wash mine twice a year. It's an exercise in futility when parking outside, especially where I'm located.
Same here. If that.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am

NmexMAX wrote:
NVSteve wrote:
Same here. If that.
I'm up to about 4 times this year. It's a record.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”