what speed do our trucks acheive best mpg??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pathypurr

what speed do our trucks acheive best mpg??

Postby pathypurr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm

just trying to figure out what speed I should travel to get best gas mileage.

also any tips on getting better mpg? anyone try a cold air intake or e3 spark plugs?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 pm

In the middle of October took a 700 mile trip to NY state across PA I80, doing so in 12 continuous hrs travelling 65-70 except the construction areas. Using premium, got an actual 22.3 mpg. Return trip similar. I figure cost of the prem vs. reg was a wash, but at least I can brag (?) Tires at 45psi + use of MotorKote, a hyper lubricant.

Strange that previous interstate trips of ~100 miles, never got me more than 21. Since I got home, reverted to the use of reg again & for some reason the local longer trips have increased. Can’t understand, although it did turn 95K on the trip. Did it finally get broken in???

Earlier in the yr, decided to see my sister 80 miles away on a 4 lane rural state hyway doing 47-48mph per speedometer on cruise. So it took me an additional 15 minutes. Got an actual 27.2 for the 160 mile journey. So, the slower you go, even if just 5 mph, the better. These R51 PathFinders aren’t the most aerodynamic vehicles out there (compared to the 2013).

Since my gas pedal is so touchy, I find cruise control to be a big advantage, along with throwing it into N down long hills. I also drive with a ScanGauge2 to monitor instant mpg & fuel quality. It lets you know if you got a tank with a lot of ethanol by reading the “Long Term Fuel Trim”. $139 at http://www.cleanmpg.com/

As for Cold Air, the MPG sites say Cold Air is for power, warmer air for MPG. The computer monitors incoming air temp. Some of the guys route the intake to take advantage of motor heat. One summer it was ~100º and was noticing the higher than normal instant mpg readings.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm

It should be at whatever speed you end up in 5th gear. Probably 45mph? Wind is a big deal with these sails....I just didn't a quick 200 miles today and running 75mph into a horrible headwind killed my overall. I can usually get around 20mpg on that trip but averaged 18.8mpg today. If I crank it down to 65-70mph I can get 22mpg.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 am

Putting any modern vehicle in N while going down a hill is counterproductive for MPG. When in N the ECU will dump fuel in to maintain a 14.7:1 AFR. Where as if your foot is off the throttle and you're coasting (drive gear engaged) the IPW is right next to 0, thus resulting in a far leaner AFR (>21.0:1). I have a WB readout on my Maxima, and can monitor the AFR on it and I have Cipher (UpRev) on the Pathfinder and can monitor the IPW via the OEM WBO2's, and it too reads the same, which is basically offscale lean, VERY minimal fuel being used.

pathypurr

Postby pathypurr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 am

thanks for the info. looks like that motokote stuff really works, also looking at getting a scanguage. did you put the motokote in your diffs or tranny also??

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 am

My V8 gets best gas mileage between 55 and 65 mph. Anything above that becomes a battle with wind resistance.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 am

CPLTECH wrote: doing 47-48mph per speedometer on cruise.
:shock: :shock:

Reminds me of a scene from one of the American Pie movies.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 pm

pathypurr wrote:thanks for the info. looks like that motokote stuff really works, also looking at getting a scanguage. did you put the motokote in your diffs or tranny also??
No, I just use it in the motor.

As for the N thing, depending on the grade of the hill, using the engine drag the ECU will go into “fuel cutoff”, a good thing however that drag can cause you to go a shorter distance before it’s time to add more fuel. So, there are advantages at times of one over another. The ScanGauge has a “cost-per-trip” feature and on a regularly traveled 4 mile route with a short hill, it shows throwing it into N actually helps. I often put it into N at a long light since it uses about 10% less idle fuel. Maybe I’m splitting hairs, but you work & I’m on a fixed income. I don’t advise shutting the engine OFF going down a hill, since the trans needs the lube. Wonder if I would be happier with an Xterra 6sp MT?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Makes sense, I was going to say it would greatly depend on the grade of the hill.

Also shutting off the engine would be bad since you'd lose power assist steering and brakes.

Xterra is lighter and we all know an MT is more efficient. Apples to oranges, but AT Maximas of my year get 23-24 and 6MT's of the same year get 32-34. Though it is 4AT vs 6MT, same car.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”