Ignition Coil questions for V6 engines..

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Bruce_Lee

Ignition Coil questions for V6 engines..

Postby Bruce_Lee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 am

Hi,
I have a 2006 V6 Pathfinder with 110K miles.

I've searched/read in many places/topics and couldn't find anything relating to 'iginition coils'.

I am planning on changing the spark plugs on my Pathfinder, and would like to do the ignition coils as well, since it's about the same type of job (removing parts that are in the way). It's running a little rough and I don't know when the previous owner did anthing about this.

1) When are igntion coils supposed (recommended) to be changed?

2) Which brand should I use? ( I ask because I see prices from $25 per coil on ebay to about $100 on 'courtesyparts.com')
What is the price I should expect to pay for a good part. Courtesyparts.com says 'parts required: 1' and then has the price at about $100. I know it requires 6. So, are they saying that they are selling a set of 6 for $100?

Thanks for any information.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 am

they are only to be replaced when they fail. this is the test i have always used to ignition issues
If you have a misfire, unplug each coil one at a time with the egine running and see if it makes a change. When you find the one that DOESN'T cause the engine to drop rpm, you have found the bad coil. Maybe be several of them at a time. so once you replace one if you still have the misfire, go through the process again. You can test the resistance across the leads to check if the coil is good as well, but this won't be 100% acurate as it may only start misbehaving once it's warm. Do a search on here for the required resistance for a good coil.

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks akley. Hopefully some one will be able to recommend a good brand for the 'ignition coil'. Also, what will be the price for a good set of igntion coils.

BL.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am

The only aftermarket brands I would use for ignition coils is Hitachi or Mitsubishi, which both make original equipment coils for Nissan. I believe you can get Hitachi coils at Rockauto.com.
Courtesy Nissan sells coils individually, so it would be $600/set +/-. Usually if a coil is failing, it will set a P1320 or a P0300-series trouble code and illuminate the check engine light. As mentioned, there is no service interval for them; when they fail, replace them. Usually you replace only the one that fails, but some people feel that if one is bad, the others aren't far behind, so they'll replace them as a set.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:12 am

denso coils are also good. but i think they are like 75 bucks each

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for all the feedback/information guys.

I am now having second thoughts about replacing the coils...definitely will do the spark plugs soon.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”