Transmission questions

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pathypurr

Transmission questions

Postby pathypurr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 am

so I just recently noticed that the pathy wasn't going into overdrive until it warmed up then it would go into overdrive fine. what does that mean?? the shifts are all very smooth like normal it just doesn't like to go into overdrive till it warms up. I did change the fluid once at 60k then once again around 84k but I used Castrol that was supposed to be ok for the truck. but just recently now that winter is here the pathy doesn't like overdrive till it warms up. should I flush the fluid with nissans transmission fluid??

has anyone done the transmission flush before? any info on it would be great.

and yes I know all about the strawberry milkshake. I don't think I have it because the fluid looks normal. maybe I do? oh s*** :?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

no worries. Its not supposed to go into OD until the trans reaches operating temp.

pathypurr

Postby pathypurr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:21 am

ahh thanks :D

I would still like any info on the flush. plan on doing it soon for good measures. any tips or pictures would be great!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:09 am

pathypurr wrote:ahh thanks :D

I would still like any info on the flush. plan on doing it soon for good measures. any tips or pictures would be great!
According to three dealers I contacted, they claim Nissan doesn't recommend the flush. I don't know if that's true or not but drain/fill seems to be the preferred method. You can do this multiple times if you want to get the majority of the fluid out. I've just done single drain/fills at 60k, and 90k.

As mentioned, vehicles (since probably mid 90's) have been programmed to extend shifts and avoid OD while the engine is cold. This helps warm the engine more quickly and allows them to meet emissions requirements.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”