Tuner Question?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
Zen_master wrote:I'm curious if the Bully Dog tuner, or any other tuner for that matter, can override the fact the R51 will not shift into overdrive until the thermostat reaches operating temperature.

Now that the weather had changed for the colder the first few three miles or so of my morning commute is spent in 4th gear instead of OD waiting for the engine to warm up. It's killing my fuel economy.
That function is related to the TCM, and tranny fluid temp sensor, not the engine coolant temperature.

Both my Maxima and Pathfinder do the same thing when it's chilly out.
Am I correct to interpret this info as there is nothing a Bully Dog system can do about adjusting the transmission/OD issue in my original question?

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:45 am

Zen_master wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:
Zen_master wrote:I'm curious if the Bully Dog tuner, or any other tuner for that matter, can override the fact the R51 will not shift into overdrive until the thermostat reaches operating temperature.

Now that the weather had changed for the colder the first few three miles or so of my morning commute is spent in 4th gear instead of OD waiting for the engine to warm up. It's killing my fuel economy.
That function is related to the TCM, and tranny fluid temp sensor, not the engine coolant temperature.

Am I correct to interpret this info as there is nothing a Bully Dog system can do about adjusting the transmission/OD issue in my original question?
right. i cant imagine it would take that long to get the trans up to operating temps. mine doesnt take long even with the bypass done.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 pm

akley88 wrote:
Zen_master wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:That function is related to the TCM, and tranny fluid temp sensor, not the engine coolant temperature.

right. i cant imagine it would take that long to get the trans up to operating temps. mine doesnt take long even with the bypass done.
I live less than two miles from the expressway therefore the failure of the trans temp to reach operating temperature means I spend a couple of miles on the highway driving around in 4th gear. Higher RPMs with a V8 on winter blend fuel means I've seen average fuel economy drop from 15/16 to 12/13 since October with no change in driving behavior. Anything I can do to increase the miserable MPG is worth a shot.

ReneZ

Postby ReneZ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:33 pm

If you have such an issue with that you can only prevent it by making sure the engine warms up faster or is warm before you start. From fitting a space heater in the crankcase to putting a halogen light under it (less safe :-)). Blocking off part of your radiator is possible, but that's tricky (how much).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”