New owner. Few questions

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cruz

New owner. Few questions

Postby Cruz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am

Hello! First off I just bought a 2005 4.0L SE with 84,xxx on the odo. It was a one owner and had an extremely clean car fax. I checked all the fluids before purchase and everything checked out, including the ATF fluid. It was the color it was supposed to be and no milky coloring at all so I did the bypass the night I got it to ease my mind. The car runs perfect and smooth and is extremely clean but there is one thing that is kinda bugging me a little. The oil pressure gauge. I have read on here that the 05 pathfinders have an actual real time gauge as where in 06+ they have a dummy gauge that is always in the middle and only goes down of there is a significant lose of pressure. So my questions is, how much should the real time gauge fluctuate? On the gauge it only reads L and H and there is two lines next to the L and two lines next to the H, I'm guessing the spot in between the lines is the safe zone. So when started cold the pressure immediately goes to the middle and stays there until warm. After the engine is warm the pressure only lowers at idle but it never goes past the fist line before the L. It always stays in the "safe zone" and there has been no check oil light or check engine light that has come on. The car doesn't run rough when at idle and as soon as you take off the pressure is right back in the middle until I come to idle again. In our opinion does it sound normal?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 am

The real time gauge is all over the place. I just posted elsewhere that when I replaced mine with an aftermarket unit, my oil light actually comes on when I'm at idle. I have had the pressure checked, and it meets the requirements, so I am not worried, but the first time it came on I was a little concerned. As was my wife, who always waits til I am out of town to call me with these little emergencies. :)

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:26 am

I have an '06 and have watched my gauge with renewed interest in response to this thread :shock:

It's been ridiculously cold for the last two weeks, only rising above -20 today*. On start up my oil gauge goes right up to the max mark. Likely because of the thick(er) oil. (I use a block heater.) In a few seconds it drops to slightly above the middle of the gauge. Revving the engine will increase oil pressure for the first few minutes. Once the vehicle is up to operating temperature (slightly less than half way on temperature gauge) the oil gauge reads dead in the middle of the scale and never wavers.

The upside of this cold snap? I'm pretty sure I have a "real" gauge 8)

H.

*PS - I know I'm a wuss compared to a Winterpegger

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 am

Heisenberg wrote:It's been ridiculously cold for the last two weeks, only rising above -20 today*.
:shock:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 pm

-37C here yesterday. My truck actually failed to start, as I did not have the block heater plugged in...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”