BIG 3 upgrade

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

BIG 3 upgrade

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 am

Here it's the issue, the voltage regulator on the ground. What's up with it how can I complete the big three upgrade with this thing? Can I get rid of it all together? Do I bypass it?
Please help!

Oh yeah, the reason for the upgrade :
Just installed four door speakers (JBL 6x9 in front MTX Thunder 6.25 in rear) I installed a JVC dvd navi touch screen head unit, got a sundown 2000d mono amp about to pump a cool 2000w rms to a Sundown Zv4 12" dual 2ohm woofer that I ran true 1 gauge to. Here's the thing. With all that power draw I need to upgrade the GROUNDS from engine to chassis, from battary to chassis, and also the POWER wire running from alt to battery.

Also I want to add some led bars and lights eventually air 1000 as well

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am

It's not really a voltage regulator but a voltage sensor. Just make sure all of your grounding is on the chassis side of the voltage sensor and not at the negative battery post, which would bypass the sensor. The sensor measures the residual voltage returning to the battery and supplies that information to the ECM, which controls the alternator. The idea is to have the alternator work only as hard as it has to depending on the load on the electrical system, which will reduce drag on the engine, hence better gas mileage and more available power for other things, like accelleration. There have been some who disabled the sensor so that the alternator runs at full charge all the time and a little searching should be able to turn up those articles, if that's what you want to do.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am

Okay so I have done a bit more research, as usual smj knows what he's talking about for sure haha! I have found two threads discussing how to do the upgrade with Nissans sensor still functional. One on 12 volt, one on club frontier. Seems like most people cut the stock "crappy" 4 gauge wire running through the voltage sensor to get it off and then run either 2 gauge or a super small 1 gauge ( if there is such thing). Rigging out the engine to chassis ground with 1 gauge as well was the positive wire tuning from the alternator to the positive on the battery. Any thoughts on this??

Also can anyone tell me where the engine chassis ground is located? I found two ground wires attached to the passenger side of the block but can't seem to locate any running from engine to chassis.

Here are the links:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/ ... ade-83520/

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... tid=132251

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Annnnnnndd this is the reason I need to do the big three.

Subwoofer is a Sundown audio Zv4 12" dual 2 ohm being pushed by 2000w RMS coming from a Sundown 2000d amp @ 1 ohm

[/img]Image

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 pm

So I took out my battery & sanded all the grounds I could get to easily. Two on the inside of the passenger side fender both with many wires grounding to them. There is two on the driver side pretty much the same spot but behind the air box.. That's the four "whatever" ones

Then there is this one.
It has two larger gauge ( 10? Maybe 8?) wires both crimped into the same end. This is located underneath the front corner of the coolant tank. When I was snooping around for the engine to chassis ground with my skid plate off, I couldn't find it. What I did find however, was two wires, both crimped to the same end with a good solid bolt into the passenger side of the engine block, that lead topside but I lost it into a harness. The same harness that the power wire from altenator to battery is. Well one of the grounds I sanded was the exact same thing, two thicker gauge wires both black crimped into the same end. Is this my engine to chasis ground?

Here's the ground with the two wires in the crimp that I think is the engine to chassis ground

Here's the harness, the two black wires run in from engine block to here (I believe)
[/img]Image

Here's a closer view of the two wires coming out of the harness im talking about.
Image[/img]

Return to “R51 Electrical”