6x9 in doors ?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

6x9 in doors ?

Postby Kestral » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:08 pm

I was going to add some new much better 6x9 speakers in the front doors of my 2012 Pathfinder but I am worried about them being so low in the doors. I would like to hear from some of you that did a speaker upgrade and do you feel you miss the tweeters in the dash? Did new 6x9's work out?

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 am

I swapped the front speakers with a pair of 3-way JBL 6x9's.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN ... UTF8&psc=1

The difference is amazing, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by missing the tweeters in the dash, those haven't gone anywhere and still function perfectly (although I'm replacing them with 1" JBL tweeters, but that's a whole different story).

If you have any questions on the speakers or their install etc, let me know and I can go into more detail.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:13 am

I guess what I was saying on the dash tweeters is are you running the JBL 6x9 full range? And if you run the dash tweets also then you would be lowering the impedance to a real low level right? Like 2 ohm?

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I chose my speakers so that they matched the stock speakers' impedance. All four door speakers have 2ohms of impedance while the dash tweeters have 4ohms. Why Nissan did that, I really couldn't tell you.

Because the dash tweeters are wired to the door (component) speakers via splices somewhere in the harness between the two as opposed to directly into a connection on the component door speaker, they work just the same as they did prior to the swap. And yes, I'm running the JBLs at full range.

How you run the JBLs (if you were to choose those) won't affect the dash tweeters, but is more of a matter of preference in the door speakers' sound output.

If you were to wire dash tweeters to the doors in the classical format, you would need to (as far as I know) run new wires through the wiring boot into the door and directly onto the appropriate connections on the back of a one way 6X9 loudspeaker. I could be wrong, but the splice into the speakers' input wires makes the situation a little different.

Essentially, the way Nissan wired it with the splices combined with their proprietary connectors makes it so you'd do more wiring to set it up in the typical component format.

Just keep in mind that because there's no existing adapter, you'll have to cut Nissan's connectors off and put female quick disconnect terminals on the existing wires to connect any aftermarket speaker.

Hope my rambling answered something for you.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes great info thank you! One more thing did the JBL 6x9's fit easy or did you have to do some cutting of a factory basket if there is one I have not had the doors off yet. What are you running to power the JBL's

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:08 pm

The 6x9 JBLs fit right onto the existing mounting holes from the stock speaker. If you ever decide to do the rear door speakers you'll need an adapter.

Because the magnet on the back the JBLs is much larger than the stock speakers' magnets, you'll have to cut away some of the plastic in the speaker hole. It's just thin plastic sheeting so a utility knife does the job.

On mine, I was only able to line up three of the four mounting holes on the new 6x9s for some reason, but it makes no difference in the security of the speaker to the door.

Other than that, you just cut the connector off, strip the ends of the wires, crimp on female disconnects (3/16" for positive and 1/8" for negative if I recall correctly) and connect them to the speaker.

As far as powering them, I just have the stock head unit. Unfortunately, I have the media screen w/ the back up camera etc so some sort of aftermarket stereo won't fit and to add an amp to the existing setup gets pretty expensive. I can't tell you how much I'd rather just have a double din opening to put a good unit into.

Feel free to shoot me any questions about the install etc, I've replaced all the speakers and had to work around some of the more inconvenient little hurdles Nissan likes to put in their cars.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:24 pm

I decided today to purchase some Alpine separates for the front 6.5's Alpine type S models. And some 6.5 Alpine co-axles for the rear doors. I already have a Alpine in dash and I also purchased a Alpine 45 watt by 4 amp. I don't have a sub or sub amp yet not sure what way I want to go with the base yet. Anyway now I just have to wait till warmer weather to install it all.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Nice! My guess is that you got the Alpine KTP 445A Power Pack? If so, that should be a pretty straight forward install because of the the harnesses already being in place. You'll probably be able to fit that behind the dash as well, which will make the whole deal exponentially easier.

I could be wrong, but I think that you'd need to run a separate power cable with an inline 15A fuse to the amp, but I haven't really looked into its specs.

Be careful to wire up the new speakers with the correct polarity because there are connectors between the main harness and the door speakers that completely change their colors from those on the HU.

Post your results and install pics if you take em!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 am

Yes I did get that Alpine power pack I could not recall what it was called when I posted. I listened to one hooked up in a car at the audio shop and it's not bad but nothing like the clean power I ran years ago when I used a 125 watt Alline to run MB Quart separates in the front of my Subaru. I just did not want to spend that kind of coin now that I'm older I just can't seem to part with the cash on car audio like I did when I was a young pup .. Lol.. As far as a sub for the Pathy I need one that I can remove easy since I use the back quite often to load office equipment. I'm looking at an Alpine type "S" woofer since it can be put into a small box and it can handle 500 watts RMS and 1,500 peak and run it on a compact Alpine MRV amp (500 RMS Mono into 2 ohm) prob go sealed box it won't thump as well as a ported box but the base should be real tight. Just not sure yet?

Bozios89

Postby Bozios89 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:27 am

@kestral

How did you figure out the wiring for the doors? Im doing the same thing but the wire colors coming out of the doors doesnt match any wiring diagrams ive found, even ones given to me from a car stereo store. I just want to make sure I have the positives and negatives going to correct spots.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Bozios89 wrote:@kestral

How did you figure out the wiring for the doors? Im doing the same thing but the wire colors coming out of the doors doesnt match any wiring diagrams ive found, even ones given to me from a car stereo store. I just want to make sure I have the positives and negatives going to correct spots.
Bozios89 .. I am sorry I cant help you on this one I planned to install it all myself but my health took a turn for the worse late last year "Cancer" and I had a local shop install it all.

blackohio

Postby blackohio » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Just bought the same JBL's from Amazon.

Open Amazon Visa card. -60 Instant credit. Pay $7.97 balance and close card.

Thanks Amazon!

Return to “R51 Electrical”