'12 Pathfinder - battery caps popped off - over charging?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

dsalni

'12 Pathfinder - battery caps popped off - over charging?

Postby dsalni » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:29 pm

So I tried searching for this topic, but wasn't able to find much.

The other day when starting the car up after a 4+ hour road trip on an 80 degree day, I heard a loud noise from the engine bay, as though something was being chopped up by the engine fan. Popped the hood and saw that the two battery caps have popped off - one just barely hanging on, one fell and got bounced around by the fan - destroying the fan shroud.

Did a little research and everything is leading to the battery over-charging and creating excess gasses. This potentially being caused by a bad voltage regulator.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any other ideas? Car is less than 4 years old and i'm just surprised to be running into an issue like this already...

any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: '12 Pathfinder - battery caps popped off - over charging

Postby eieio » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 pm

dsalni wrote:So I tried searching for this topic, but wasn't able to find much.

The other day when starting the car up after a 4+ hour road trip on an 80 degree day, I heard a loud noise from the engine bay, as though something was being chopped up by the engine fan. Popped the hood and saw that the two battery caps have popped off - one just barely hanging on, one fell and got bounced around by the fan - destroying the fan shroud.

Did a little research and everything is leading to the battery over-charging and creating excess gasses. This potentially being caused by a bad voltage regulator.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any other ideas? Car is less than 4 years old and i'm just surprised to be running into an issue like this already...

any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
according to the owners' manual, does your charging guage read abnormally?

dsalni

Postby dsalni » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Haven't seen any abnormal activity prior to the event, nor after.. Haven't driven the car much afterward.

Return to “R51 Electrical”