Bose amp sudden death

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

Bose amp sudden death

Postby jspitz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:10 am

My Bose amp (28060-EA500) seems to have cashed in its chips. I started the Pathfinder yesterday after work and had no audio.

Here is what I know:
  • amp is getting +12v at the harness
    amp ground tests OK with multimeter, also no corrosion, etc. on connectors or the amp bracket
    all 4 channels from head unit have audio at the amp connector
    head unit seems to function normally
    amp is putting out very subtle/quiet click/pop noises on all 4 speakers consistently with car on and headunit on or off - you can listen if you are bored: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/559 ... d_0002.wav (it is VERY quiet - this was recorded with my phone against the speaker)
    after waiting 4 hours, I still had no audio
    after waiting overnight ~9 hours, I had audio for about 3 seconds, nothing for about 3 seconds, then audio again for a few minutes, then back to dead
    the inside of the amp looks good - nothing burnt, no obvious cold or charred solder joints, etc.
What I don't know:
  • I have not tested the amp turn-on lead - is it +12v, or something else?
    There isn't very much inside this amp, but I neglected to snap any pics and I don't know exactly what is inside
A boneyard replacement will be about $90 shipped, and supposedly working, but if this is very common, I could be back to square 1 shortly. New would be close to $400.

The symptoms almost make me think it could be just the lone (I think there was just one) large-ish capacitor, although it didn't look bad - no char marks, no bulging.

Aftermarket will require the replacement of speakers, and either the head or an amp, and butchering of the amp harness (unless I can find the female connector).

The car has ~143k miles and is 9 years and 3 months old today. Realistically, I think I'll have the car 2-3 more years max.

Has anyone successfully repaired one of these, know of a good place to send them for repair, or have one laying around from when they replaced the entire system that they want to get out of their parts bin?
:)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:37 pm

There are a number of places that repair Nissan Bose radios; you may want to try contacting one of them to see if they can repair your unit. Just Google "Nissan Bose radio repair" and you should get some hits. Bose Corp. also sells and services their factory installed, automotive systems. You could try contacting them for a price of a new amp or repairing yours. The salvage yard unit might end up being the least costly option.

Return to “R51 Electrical”