Parking light wire

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

triplesnake

Parking light wire

Postby triplesnake » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm getting ready to install some off road lights, (probably Hella 500s) on the Pathfinder once the bull bar gets here. I'd like to use the parking light wire as the signal for the relay. Can anybody tell me which wire that is on the passengers side of the Pathfinder, and maybe a a convenient spot to tap into it?

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:26 pm

So, after some more digging, it looks like I can accomplish this by installing an add-a-circuit on fuse 36 or 37 and sending the new tap to the signal on the relay for the Hellas. Does that sound right? Has anyone done anything similar?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm not sure what fuse 36/37 is, but I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work. I tied mine with the high beams and tagged a wire near the headlamp harness. A tester is pretty easy to use on the bulb socket to figure out which wire you want to grab.

I'm not much of a Hella 500 fan. I ran them for a couple years but the 55w is rather mediocre on light output, but even worse the relay was junk. My first relay went bad within a year and I replaced it with another that didn't last a year. I gutted the Hella system and switched to IPF 986DCG's which came with nice integrated grilles. They come with 55w and 100w bulbs along with the heavier wiring to handle the power. They've held up great and have much better lighting. The switch is kind of chintzy but I don't use it since it's just setup to come on with my high beams. If I was going to use the switch often I'd upgrade that part. The IPF's are more expensive but worth every penny but still more reasonable than a comparable PIAA.

triplesnake

Postby triplesnake » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually having a hell of a time finding the fuse for the parking lights. I found reference to Fuses 36 & 37, but nowhere on the fuse diagram on the truck does it actually say "parking lights". One says "tail lights", and the other says "illumination", whatever the hell that means. I haven't found anywhere that maps the fuse location numbers referenced in the FSM to what it actually says on the truck. I need to pull that fuse and see what it kills.

As far as the Hellas, I know they aren't the best and brightest, especially compared to the LED stuff now, but they work for our purpose of helping to avoid deer when driving in the country, or the occasional drive down the beach at night, and are pretty a pretty good bang for the buck at less then half the cost of other options like KCs or IPFs. I have a set on both of our other nissans and haven't been disappointed with them. The pair on the X have been on there for 13 years and still going strong. Not too bad in my book.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:03 pm

I'd just grab a test light and poke around the bulb harness with the parking lights turned on. Should be able to just tap the wire there.

Hella probably was using a more quality relay 13 years ago. I mean $50 is awfully damn cheap for lights so they've got to cut back somewhere. I use mine on-road with my high-beams because the PF lights suck. I run a lot of back roads with very little traffic so it's not a problem. We have an abundance of deer around here too. Good luck!

Return to “R51 Electrical”