electrical loss/issues.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Mr2005

electrical loss/issues.

Postby Mr2005 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I have a 2007 pathfinder, 189,000miles.

Tonight I had an issue while driving. First the brake light came on, then the battery light followed then various parts of the dash went out, then the air conditioner controls. Next the control panel with speedometer and other gauges went .. Then everything went out, motor was still running though but I couldn’t accelerate. I pulled over, put it in park and started to drive again and the above happened a couple more times. We stopped attempting to drive when I small some trickles of smoke and we could smell the burning of what we thought was plastic.

We let the Pathfinder sit for an hour plus while traffic cleared then went back to the car and drove it home (less than a mile). During the ride home, only the battery light and brake light came on.

Popped the hood and I didn’t see anything out of line or melted.
I am taking it in tomorrow to my shop. Any guess as to what the problem could be?

About a -2 months ago I had a new battery and new battery cables put on. Last wee my shop replaced my thermostat and fan clutch.
Thanks in Advance.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm

It could "possibly" be bad connections at the battery cable connections or even a bad alternator. It's impossible to say what it actually is without doing some testing.

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Hey Mr2005 did your shop find out what was wrong with your car? I am having similar issues

Mr2005

Postby Mr2005 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 pm

sorry for the late reply. it was the alernator. then a few weeks later (after a new alternator) it happened again. they discovered my power steering fluid was leaking on my alternator and shorting it out.

Return to “R51 Electrical”