2006 PATHFINDER VQ40DE: DYI WRITE-UP ON REPLACING ALTERNATOR

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

2006 PATHFINDER VQ40DE: DYI WRITE-UP ON REPLACING ALTERNATOR

Postby alecsey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:43 pm

So I started experiencing these pretty bad symptoms:

RANDOMLY and mostly when raving engine above 2000RPM, accelerating or going up the hills multimiter attached to battery terminals shows voltage spikes above 16-18 volts. These voltage spikes are accompanied by brief (1-2 second) electrical cut-offs (lights are out, gauges zeroed, radio off, etc.) and engine shut-offs. At the same time I hear loud click from behind dashboard which I associate with controller assembly driving position part 98800-7s200 (It's the controller for the memory seats). In 1-2 seconds everything is back to normal. There must be some relay that cuts power to protect vehicle's electronics from being fried by higher voltage.

To remedy the situation I replaced ECM relay and thoroughly cleaned battery terminal battery cables, etc., etc. This did not help. I decided to replace alternator.

Because I had such a hard time finding any info (besides service manual) on how to replace alternator I wanted to share DIY instructions that I put together before successfully replacing alternator on my Path. Hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7m06 ... sp=sharing

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing

Return to “R51 Electrical”