Rear Wiper Motor Failure?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Rear Wiper Motor Failure?

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:43 am

Hey everybody,

In summer, I noticed that my rear wiper started working somewhat intermittently, and eventually quit working entirely. It is now stuck in the middle of its cycle.

The rear defrost and washer spray still work.

I've not had any time to pull the rear door apart to diagnose this issue. It could be anything from a loose connection to a burnt out motor. I did check the fuse, and it is good.

Before I spend $70 on a replacement, and hours trying to diagnose, does anyone else have any experience with this type of failure, some experience they can impart to me? :)

t

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am

If it's stuck in the middle then it's probably not a loose nut on the wiper arm. My quit working a few years ago and turned out the nut just came loose. The motor was turning g but the wiper didn't move. :?

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:10 pm

I had similar issue last summer. I was lucky the engine was not damaged. The mechanics was stuck due to dirt and rust.

To take it appart is quite straightfoward job to do.
First remove the plastic cove,r then unplug the motor and check the voltage.
Next remove a wiper and otsider cover. There are 3..4 nuts inside, that hold the motor and mechanics. Remove those.
Next unscrew 4..5 screws and remove the cover. You will see some plastic gears. Remove some of those to release the engine.
Next plug the power and switch it on. If engine is runnig, you're lucy. If not, go shopping..
If engine is ok then check if the biggest gear is moving. It is attached to the axle which goes through the hatch. I used liquid oil, wrench and hammer to get it moving. When hammering, be careful and do not damage the wipers nut.

It took about 2...3 hours and couple of beers to get the job done.

Hope this helps.

Return to “R51 Electrical”