Shift lock problems

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

sdg1963

Shift lock problems

Postby sdg1963 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Can someone please provide info on where the shift lock relay can be found?

I'm having issues moving the vehicle out of park, and by all accounts the relay is done. When the brake pedal is depressed, no clicking sound is heard.

My dealer makes reference to an ECM relay/fuse. Is this the same as the shift lock relay?

Can anyone offer any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Entropy98

Postby Entropy98 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Had the same problem recently. Took everything apart, down to the ground under the shifter. Ended up being the the ground just needed to be reset. I literally just put it back together after tearing it apart and it worked like magic. I was about to start replacing things until it worked. There is a write up here somewhere that goes through the trouble shooting. I found that to be super helpful. Good luck.

Kael2001

Postby Kael2001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:14 am

Depending on your year you can find diagnostic info here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/ ... df#page223

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:22 pm

I had a similar issue with my 2008. After doing some checks, I though it was the shift lock actuator on the left side of the shifter. It turned out that was not the case. When you remove the actuator, you can see a micro-switch with a small, metal lever. When you put the shifter into "PARK," it pushes against the lever and it sends voltage to the ground side of the actuator, which keeps it from activating the plunger when you press on the brake pedal. The micro-switch is not available separately from the shifter assembly. I ended up removing the micro-switch and bending the lever (carefully) and re-installed it. Since then, the shift lock has worked fine and it's been over six months.

Return to “R51 Electrical”