IPDM Part Number?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

LeftHandedWrench

IPDM Part Number?

Postby LeftHandedWrench » Mon May 16, 2016 7:29 pm

So, my 2005 pathfinder started taking a while to crank randomly. Not specifically when cold or hot...just randomly. That happened for a couple days in a row, then nothing for almost a week. Friday, it nearly didn't start when I was leaving work there was lots of clicking, the engine turned over extremely slowly and it eventually fired up. For a few seconds afterwards all the gauges pointed below their "zero" marks and kind of vibrated. The radio lost all my presets as if the battery had been disconnected. It got me home, and thats where it sits in my driveway.

The internet seems to suggest my IPDM is toast. Fair enough. A couple supposed "Genuine Nissan OEM Parts" places sell a new one for $150. In fact, if you search amazon for Pathfinder IPDM, one comes up for $143, they suggest sending in the VIN to make sure its the right part. The part number they list is 284B6-ZE03B.

I decide to call my local dealers to see if I can get it today rather than wait for shipping. They want around $430 for one.

$150 sounds a lot better than $430, but that difference in price doesn't make sense. Has anyone else heard about IPDM's going for $150? Or is that the wrong part?

I tried swapping out just the ECM relay on the IPDM, but that didn't work.

My daily driver is stranded in my driveway until I can fix this. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
--LeftHandedWrench

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Unless they were including labor, it sounds like your dealer was ripping you off or looking up the wrong part. The Nissan MSRP is only $191.02. CourtesyParts.com has the genuine Nissan part for $143.
That said, try grabbing your battery cable ends and see if you can turn them. R51 cable ends are famous for making poor connections due to not being able to be tightened enough and creating a number of issues. You should also have your battery and charging system tested.

LeftHandedWrench

Postby LeftHandedWrench » Tue May 17, 2016 7:43 pm

I went to CourtesyParts.com and searched the part number listed on my IPDM and it comes up as discontinued with no suggestions for alternative/new part numbers. Googling that part number "284B6-7S002" sends me to one site that lists "284B6-ZE03C" as the new replacement IPDM for 2005 Pathfinders, Frontiers, Armadas and Titans. Courtesy lists that part number for $306, other sites have it in that price range.

I'll check out the battery and charging system just to make sure, but I *think* they're ok. I have been known to be wrong on occasion lol.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 17, 2016 11:29 pm

The other option is a used one. They sell for around $75-$100 on Ebay. You can also try: www.car-part.com

LeftHandedWrench

Postby LeftHandedWrench » Wed May 18, 2016 11:08 am

You should also have your battery and charging system tested.
Tried jumping it off last night and it cranked up no problem. Went out there this morning and it wouldn't start again. Battery was at 12.02v, dropped to ~3v while trying to crank. Gonna drop a fresh battery in it this afternoon.

Glad I didn't buy another IPDM only to find out I needed another battery.

On the up side, I now have a spare ECM relay that I'll keep in the truck.

LeftHandedWrench

Postby LeftHandedWrench » Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 am

Put the new battery in and it starts up no problem now. Verified with a multimeter that the alternator is charging. Issue seems to have been the battery. I could kick myself for not checking that first.

As far as the part number goes, the dealer confirmed that the new replacement IPDM part number is 284B6-ZE03C. It seems to be of a different design...which I would hope eliminates the problems from the old design.

Return to “R51 Electrical”