Code Reader...........

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Code Reader...........

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:46 pm

............looks to be time to buy a code reader. :o
Like most, I don't want to spend more than I need to for one, but want one of decent quality and performance.
Any suggestions for me?

patrickm

Re: Code Reader...........

Postby patrickm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 pm

eieio wrote:............looks to be time to buy a code reader. :o
Like most, I don't want to spend more than I need to for one, but want one of decent quality and performance.
Any suggestions for me?
if you have a smartphone, get an ELM327 or equivalent bluetooth or wifi OBD-2 module from amazon (about $15-20), and the Torque app (paid version for android is about $5). this will get you a lot more capability than most cheap readers that just read and erase codes.

if you have an android phone, there's usually a way to screenshot using the power and volume button simultaneously. with the right displays loaded up, this is pretty handy for troubleshooting.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:32 am

patrickm wrote:
eieio wrote:............looks to be time to buy a code reader. :o
Any suggestions for me?
if you have a smartphone, get an ELM327 or equivalent bluetooth or wifi OBD-2 module from amazon (about $15-20), and the Torque app (paid version for android is about $5). this will get you a lot more capability than most cheap readers that just read and erase codes.

if you have an android phone, there's usually a way to screenshot using the power and volume button simultaneously. with the right displays loaded up, this is pretty handy for troubleshooting.
........No smart phone, and no desire to have one, thanks. :)
I'm really looking to have a basic reader that reads & erases codes, but one that is reliable & durable.
Bells & whistles are not important.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I got my OBD II code reader several years ago for $65 from Walmart; they go for cheaper than that now. Keep in mind, though, that most OBD II code readers only read powertrain codes...not ABS, 4WD, BCM codes, etc. For something that reads those codes, you will need to purchase a much more expensive scan tool.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:39 am

eieio wrote: ........No smart phone, and no desire to have one, thanks. :)
I hear you on that-wish I wasn't required to have one for work.

I picked up this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Very happy with it & very happy I can simply plug it in any time I want.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 am

I've heard of some people have communication problems with the bluetooth code readers, but I'm not sure what brand they had. I was in Walmart a couple of days ago and they had an OBD II cable-type reader for $20 that wasn't much different than the one I got for $65 several years ago.

Return to “R51 Electrical”