2011 Remote Start

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

ECOcrush

2011 Remote Start

Postby ECOcrush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi guys, asking the experts because I can't figure this out. I bought a 2011 in April. It has the smart key option with a plastic piece in the typical ignition location on the dash that you crank while you keep your key is in your pocket. When the salesman retrieved the second set of keys, one of these remote start fobs was attached. Image
It was a surprise to him that the car might have remote start added. But then again he also didn't know that truck had a bunch of other options like Bluetooth and XM (which still works even though I'm not paying for it :) ). Anyway this remote is pretty typical of dealer installed remote starts from pretty much everyone BUT Nissan. The light flashes on it but if it does belong to this truck it's no longer programmed which is understandable since the dealer probably disconnected the battery at some point during their run through. I also can't find a hood pin switch or anything under the dash that looks spliced in or mounted after the fact. But there is this sensor mounted in front of the radiator that I was thinking could be an optical sensor to detect if the hood is open?? Anyone know what that is?
The zip-tie below it makes me think aftermarket but the mount looks like it's probably OEM. Any ideas? I live in Michigan and really want remote start for when Winter rolls around. When I bought the truck I was planning on eventually taking it somewhere to have remote start added but if it's there already and it's just a matter of reprogramming the remote I'll take it. I just can't find the programming button anywhere under the dash. Anyplace else I can look to verify if the truck even has remote start or if the dealer just put this fob on the keyring by mistake? I have checked to see if there were and foreign wires going to the battery and there is a line going to it but it's for an electromagnetic anti-rust system the previous owner added.

Return to “R51 Electrical”