XM Radio Windshield Antenna Problems

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Triffid
Sponsored Member

XM Radio Windshield Antenna Problems

Postby Triffid » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:49 am

We are still getting "dropped signal" from the Nissan windshield mounted antenna... We are on our 4th antenna... Has anyone else had this problem?... My OEM roof mount on my Chevy truck has had NO problems... Thanks!......... Triffid

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:08 am

Triffid, Did you check that the antenna is grounded. That or the XM receiver needs to have a ground. I can't think of anything else causing the problem.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:41 am

Those thru-glass type antennas do not work well.Get rid of it and get a roof mounted and you won't have anymore problems

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:36 am

What type of antenna would you recommend using? I have the same issue with a 2005 Pathfinder (the external antenna keeps getting damaged by rainwater leaking in, causing signal dropouts). The problem is that the 2005 model uses a Clarion sat tuner that uses the two-pronged antenna. I can't find a compatible antenna, and Nissan says it's the only one that works.

I have found a Terk splitter that looks like it will work, and an antenna that is compatible with the splitter, but the connectors it comes with aren't the same as the ones that connect to the Clarion tuner. I can get pictures if it would help.

Can anyone suggest a non-through-the-glass antenna for use with a 2005 XM tuner for the Pathfinder?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:25 am

BCPathfinder wrote:What type of antenna would you recommend using? I have the same issue with a 2005 Pathfinder (the external antenna keeps getting damaged by rainwater leaking in, causing signal dropouts). The problem is that the 2005 model uses a Clarion sat tuner that uses the two-pronged antenna. I can't find a compatible antenna, and Nissan says it's the only one that works.

I have found a Terk splitter that looks like it will work, and an antenna that is compatible with the splitter, but the connectors it comes with aren't the same as the ones that connect to the Clarion tuner. I can get pictures if it would help.

Can anyone suggest a non-through-the-glass antenna for use with a 2005 XM tuner for the Pathfinder?
Nissan finally replaced the XM antenna with a newer version Xterra inside mount (mounts on the inside of the windshield up near the mirrow)... We have not had any issues since this was done... Hope this helps........ Triffid

The Part#'s listed on the repair ticket are:
999U9-VS002 Antenna
999U9-VQ004 Splitter

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi there,

These will these work with a 2005 Pathfinder? If so, that's awesome - I will call the dealership tomorrow and place an order.

Thanks very much!

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 am

BCPathfinder wrote:Hi there,

These will these work with a 2005 Pathfinder? If so, that's awesome - I will call the dealership tomorrow and place an order.

Thanks very much!
Yes they were installed on my 2005 Pathfinder... The antenna is smaller and only mounts to the inside of the windshield up by the mirrow... But the water problem is gone now!... Best of luck... The dealership replaced this under warranty also....... Triffid

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:48 pm

Triffid wrote: Yes they were installed on my 2005 Pathfinder... The antenna is smaller and only mounts to the inside of the windshield up by the mirrow... But the water problem is gone now!... Best of luck... The dealership replaced this under warranty also....... Triffid
Cool! I called up the dealer and they were able to order the parts! They didn't know anything about it until I gave them the part numbers, after which it was all straight forward enough.

So I'm guessing that the splitter will connect the two antenna cables and turn it into a single antenna cable, which then plugs into the standard antenna that you listed? If you have any pictures of what the new antenna looks like, I'd be interested to see them.

Thanks again - wouldn't have been able to get this one fixed without your help!

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:52 am

BCPathfinder wrote:
Triffid wrote: Yes they were installed on my 2005 Pathfinder... The antenna is smaller and only mounts to the inside of the windshield up by the mirrow... But the water problem is gone now!... Best of luck... The dealership replaced this under warranty also....... Triffid
Cool! I called up the dealer and they were able to order the parts! They didn't know anything about it until I gave them the part numbers, after which it was all straight forward enough.

So I'm guessing that the splitter will connect the two antenna cables and turn it into a single antenna cable, which then plugs into the standard antenna that you listed? If you have any pictures of what the new antenna looks like, I'd be interested to see them.

Thanks again - wouldn't have been able to get this one fixed without your help!
There is one picture of the new antenna (not a very good one) if you click on "view my album/mods" in my signature... Hope this helps.......... Triffid

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:54 am

Looked through the pictures - couldn't find one except the front end that had a tag in the middle of the windshield, but it was at the very bottom underneath the mirror. I wasn't sure if that was the antenna or if it was an EZPass or something like that. Sorry for being thick, but if you could point me to the right shot, that would be great.

Thanks!

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:06 am

BCPathfinder wrote:Looked through the pictures - couldn't find one except the front end that had a tag in the middle of the windshield, but it was at the very bottom underneath the mirror. I wasn't sure if that was the antenna or if it was an EZPass or something like that. Sorry for being thick, but if you could point me to the right shot, that would be great.

Thanks!
It's the picture right above the "old' XM outside mount... Labeled "New Inside XM Mount" ... It's the small black square up close to the headliner...... Triffid

BCPathfinder

Postby BCPathfinder » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Triffid wrote: It's the picture right above the "old' XM outside mount... Labeled "New Inside XM Mount" ... It's the small black square up close to the headliner...... Triffid
OK - now I know what to expect - I'm guessing they just installed it overtop of the window film?

Great to hear that the new antenna does the trick - I've had two go out on me, so I'm really hoping this finishes things off for once and for all. Thanks again for the help!

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:29 am

I have the Sirius antenna mounted on the upper right inside of the front windshield and have had no problems.

Return to “R51 Electrical”