bully dog

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 am

From what it sounds like is that this thing remembers or "knows" what it's being installed on, as long as it's Nissan make (gas engine), but a model specific unit does not need to be purchased?

Is this true?

i.e I can buy one from Titantalk, clubfrontier, newx, clubarmada etc.?

Hmmm.

Also, doctah, if you're looking for a more potent sound, try the NightOwl (titantalk member) Cajun B-pipes and a magnaflow 18" or 22" or flowmaster 40 or super 44 muffler, you wont regret it. :twisted:

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:16 am

well yeah, when it's 'installed' (when you download a new 'tune' to your vehicle) to a vehicle it's locked to that one until you use the 'uninstall' option on the bully dog itself.

bully dog makes a few different models. there's the one i use that can be used on several different makes and models of venicles (it's the 40410 model). they also make one that's only for diesels (40420) and a couple of others that are GM or Ford specific.

so basically just make sure you're getting model 40410 and you're good. the previous owner of the one i bought had it on a chevy tahoe. not sure really how you can tell if it's the right model without powering it up.

i would suggest if you're buying it from someone, either have them 'uninstall' it (through the menu on the bully dog) right in front of you, or power up the unit with it connected to your vehicle (you'll need a 12v source, i just used a cig lighter adapter for a cell phone and spliced to wires to the bully dog power feed to make sure it worked) and go to the menu and select 'change vehicle'. it will either give you a list of vehicles, or it will say it needs to be uninstalled from the current vehicle. if it's the latter then either make the previous owner uninstall it, or don't buy it :)

cool about the exhaust. i don't want -loud-, i just want my v8 to sound more like a v8 rather than muffled to hell to sound like a v6 :)

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 am

doctahjones wrote:well yeah, when it's 'installed' (when you download a new 'tune' to your vehicle) to a vehicle it's locked to that one until you use the 'uninstall' option on the bully dog itself.

bully dog makes a few different models. there's the one i use that can be used on several different makes and models of venicles (it's the 40410 model). they also make one that's only for diesels (40420) and a couple of others that are GM or Ford specific.

so basically just make sure you're getting model 40410 and you're good. the previous owner of the one i bought had it on a chevy tahoe. not sure really how you can tell if it's the right model without powering it up.

i would suggest if you're buying it from someone, either have them 'uninstall' it (through the menu on the bully dog) right in front of you, or power up the unit with it connected to your vehicle (you'll need a 12v source, i just used a cig lighter adapter for a cell phone and spliced to wires to the bully dog power feed to make sure it worked) and go to the menu and select 'change vehicle'. it will either give you a list of vehicles, or it will say it needs to be uninstalled from the current vehicle. if it's the latter then either make the previous owner uninstall it, or don't buy it :)

cool about the exhaust. i don't want -loud-, i just want my v8 to sound more like a v8 rather than muffled to hell to sound like a v6 :)

Sounds good, thanks for the info! I will now be in the hunt for a BD tuner now.

As for the sound, you can barely tell anything has changed with only the 22" MF. Add the b-pipes, and it's slightly more pronounced and authoritative.

I actually want it a bit louder, so I'm selling my 22" for an 18".

The sound with the 22" and b-pipes is horrifically addicting, very mellow tone and tamed, but noticeable, not setting off car alarms. I think any muffler on these would be tamed and tolerable, it's when we introduce headers that it will become ridiculous.

aceboogie1981

Other mods to get the benefits?

Postby aceboogie1981 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Do you need to have other mods to reap the benefits of the +MPGs? Intake, exhaust or whatever else....have a 05 Pathfinder totally stock, getting about 15MPG around town with a heavy foot about 50% of the time I drive. So I am really looking to boost MPGs. Is the bully dog the best for this or superchips? Any other suggestions for better MPGs?

doctahjones

Re: Other mods to get the benefits?

Postby doctahjones » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

aceboogie1981 wrote:Do you need to have other mods to reap the benefits of the +MPGs? Intake, exhaust or whatever else....have a 05 Pathfinder totally stock, getting about 15MPG around town with a heavy foot about 50% of the time I drive. So I am really looking to boost MPGs. Is the bully dog the best for this or superchips? Any other suggestions for better MPGs?
don't know how to compare to a superchips. all i've used is the bullydog.

honestly if you're already heavy footed i don't think either route would gain you any mpgs as the added 'power' you feel in the pedal makes you want to push it through the floor even more. or at least that's been my experience thusfar....

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Put the Bully Dog GT into mine a few months ago and love it. Definitely responds differently and also has more umpf. There is a feature on there that allows you to test 0 to 100 kph (0-62mph). I used it without the tune and was able to get there in 7.8 sec. That would be about right since that is what a lot of reviews are promising for the 4.0L Pathfinder. After the tune was installed I did a few runs and got it up there in 7.2 sec. Unless the thing is rigged to fool you into thinking it I would say the proof is in the puddin; however, I can feel the difference and so I must conclude that it really is 7.2 sec. I do have a K&N Cold Air intake on the Pathy so I'm sure it helps. To my surprise I also found the mpg's to have gone up. I think in part the Driving Coach that is installed on the Bully helps. But every so now and then it feels good to hammer it down the Interstate Ramp. What a blast.

Return to “R51 Electrical”