R51 video input on 2007/2008 - Help !!

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Olllie C

R51 video input on 2007/2008 - Help !!

Postby Olllie C » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Guys, first time posting on the site, I've been following the site for a while. I'm, hoping you can help with my problem.....

I've a Diesel r51 with literally every extra fitted however, i'm trying to work out a way to crack into the Navi screen so i can watch regular video from a dvd player etc.

I have the full navigation , bluetooth, 6 cd changer in dash, reverse camera set up and no aux buttons . Nav system is the DVD under the driver seat (right hand drive).

I've been very bold and downloaded the workshop manual from a dodgey site and it's given me loads of diagrams and listed the components etc, but without ripping the car apart to do a easy job in a difficult way , i wanted to find out if anyone on here has done this?

I know there are a couple of posts along the same lines but im not seeing anything done on a vehicle with the same media set up as mine.

Thanks

Ollie

ibwahooka

Postby ibwahooka » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Try out this site. It might have what you need.

http://tvandnav2go.com/

Olllie C

Postby Olllie C » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks ibwahooka, I got a Interface from XCARLINK on ebay today for €115 shipped and all.

Ive ordered a roof mount DVD player and im going to use the FM modulator in the roof mount DVD to sort the sound.

Can any one advise on the easiest route to run the video cables?

I had a look around over the headlining and there seems to be a mount point on the sunroof frame the same shape as the factory dvd , does anyone know if the frame is strong enough to hold the unit?

Im trying to keep the machine as factory looking as possible.

Also, I discovered that the wiring loom for the mid- rear interior light has a plug already fitted to accomodate the dvd player so to anyone doing this job , it should be an easy job to power the unit.

Olllie C

Just an update

Postby Olllie C » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi Guys, i never got a chance to update on this, Turned out to be a bit of a difficult problem

I bought the nav 2 go system for the pathy and it fitted fine but wouldnt work and after alot ( im mean alot !! ) of screwing around and testing things, i took it to a local nissan dealer and they did a bit of homework for me.

Basically when you have the Nav and Camera from the factory, the car is pre wired for the roof mount DVD system ( plug is just above rear interior light ) this VGA wiring goes to a VGA controller for the Camera in the rear of the car and the VGA controller 'talks' to the front screen via the under seat DVD nav unit. Basically its impossible to interrupt the NAV screen without losing some other feature of the system ( unless your an electronics guru, which i certainly am not !)

What I did in the end was mount the DVD in the roof using the power from the pre wired factory DVD plug ( meaning the system goes off with the engine etc. ) and bought a 4" hi-res screen on ebay for about €30 and mounted it just above the rear view mirror on the front windscreen.

It actually works out better as its not interrupting the view and the passengers can watch tv while i still have NAV and voice control etc, its great on a long journey.

hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same thing.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I've read through your issue and the posted results but have a few questions...

1) did the X-Car link not work or did you switch that for the NAV2Go?
2) what functions did you loose if you used the sat screen?

my goal is really to get video to come out through the internal screen yet be able to switch it off so it returns back to standard. The device currently on Ebay claims to be compatible and is located in the UK and even has the switch capability I'm after...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Multim ... 3114wt_906

...if this would work I'd only need to sort the audio out somehow, I have a thread I just created showing the inconsistencies between the stereo types I'm seeing and it seems that your thread was the only one I could find that doesnt have the sat radio buttons and your nav is under the right hand seat etc...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 7554#47554

Return to “R51 Electrical”