Keyfob

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

Re: Whats the model I need for an '05 fob?

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 am

jklaus wrote:If i search for a new one on ebay/amazon - whats the exact model I need?
Is there a specific type or are they generally all the same?
For an '05PF btw.

Cheers,
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Pathfinder ... 319&sr=1-9

joe mamma

Postby joe mamma » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:28 pm

dawgn86 wrote:
jklaus wrote:If i search for a new one on ebay/amazon - whats the exact model I need?
For an '05PF btw.

Cheers,
Are these aftermarket remotes any good? I need an extra one and I don't want to shell out $100 to the dealer, but I don't want to get one that'll work 1/2 the time. Are all the aftermarket ones pretty much the same? I see a few advertised on craigslist.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 pm

joe mamma wrote:
dawgn86 wrote:
For an '05PF btw.

Cheers,
Are these aftermarket remotes any good? I need an extra one and I don't want to shell out $100 to the dealer, but I don't want to get one that'll work 1/2 the time. Are all the aftermarket ones pretty much the same? I see a few advertised on craigslist.
it is the exact same thing...had mine a couple of months now...working like a champ !

joe mamma

Postby joe mamma » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:19 pm

dawgn86 wrote:
joe mamma wrote:
it is the exact same thing...had mine a couple of months now...working like a champ !
Thanks! Don't I have to match the numbers on the back of my existing remote? Is it the p/n: I have to match, or another?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:06 am

Joe

I just ordered the one for my 06. It came with instructions on how to sync it up with your key; didnt need any part numbers, etc.

gilliam433

Postby gilliam433 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:00 am

Are there any "secrets" for getting an actual Key made. My 06 Pathfinder is kind of the "newest" car I've ever bought, so when I took my Keys to Lowes they said that it was some sort of special Key that I would have to get made at the dealer and would cost a fortune. I love this KeyFOb info you guys have given, didn't know what you guys do for spare keys.

Thanks.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:17 am

gilliam433 wrote:Are there any "secrets" for getting an actual Key made. My 06 Pathfinder is kind of the "newest" car I've ever bought, so when I took my Keys to Lowes they said that it was some sort of special Key that I would have to get made at the dealer and would cost a fortune. I love this KeyFOb info you guys have given, didn't know what you guys do for spare keys.

Thanks.
no secrets..just about $300 at the dealer for a new key and fob

Bruce_Lee

Postby Bruce_Lee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 pm

gilliam433 wrote:Are there any "secrets" for getting an actual Key made. My 06 Pathfinder is kind of the "newest" car I've ever bought, so when I took my Keys to Lowes they said that it was some sort of special Key that I would have to get made at the dealer and would cost a fortune. I love this KeyFOb info you guys have given, didn't know what you guys do for spare keys.

Thanks.
HI,
I thought I might provide some updated info on getting a new (another) key for the Pathfinder.

When I bought my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (used) in August of last year (2011), I was given only one set of keys with a remote. I asked the sales guy for another (set) and he said he would mail them to me. Well, I guess he must have forgotten.

Any ways, I finally decided to shop for another key and key fob on the web. I found a good deal on ebay. I bought 2 new keys for $10.99 each with free shipping. I also ordered 2 extra key fobs (remotes) - one for $10 (used) and the other fro $22 (new). The remotes worked fine after programming.

On the keys, you have to get them cut and programmed either by the dealer or a 'locksmith'. Now, I called several local locksmiths here in the Bay Area and all wanted to charge me $15 just to look at my car/keys. Then, it would be extra to actually program my keys. :evil:

I read in these forums that some Ace Hardware stores would cut and program the keys for a reasonable fee. So, I went to the local Ace Hardware store in Fremont to inquire about this. They told me they do have the service. They said that it is $63 for a key, cut and programmed. This means that they will sell you the a new key and program it to work on your car for that money. My problem was that I already had the keys and just wanted them to cut and program them. They wouldn't do it. They gave me a bunch of excuses as to why they wouldn't do it. 'Didn't want to ruin my expensive keys'. 'Didn't know if their computer would be able to program my keys - may be different chip in them'. 'They didn't want to cut my keys because it seems that they weren't make out of 'brass' and it could ruin their cutting machine (just bs).' Finally, they said they just wouldn't do it and that they only cut and program their own keys. That's fine with me and I can not force them to, but don't give me all that nonsense. I do think they have a great price - $63 - for a new key, BUT, I already had purchased these and didn't want to waste them.

Well, this weekend, I went to Fresno to visit my parents and took the opportunity to look for a local locksmith. I first went to the local Home Depot to have my keys cut. They guys there were very helpful and cut both keys for free (because they weren't sure they were going to work). I then found a locksmith and he programmed them for me. He first had to make sure the keys were good and then told me it would be $50 for each key. All the keys work (the 2 new ones and 1 original). This locksmith said that for the 2005+ pathfinder, he charges $90 for a new key, with the programming, because they are more expensive. He asked me where I got my keys and how much I paid. He said I got a good deal on them.

thanks,

BL.

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for that just what i needed . Going to ACE now to see if they can help me.

After spending 4 hrs on the beach last night looking for my only set of keys :evil: I think its time to get a backup set ASAP. Never thought i would find them as we walked about 2 miles before realising we dropped them. 9 oclock pitch black on beach, phone wallets everything locked in car luckily i was able to borrow a flashlight from a hotel and found them at 1.30am

Return to “R51 Electrical”