Tekonsha Wiring Question....

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

parkingpuckguy

Tekonsha Wiring Question....

Postby parkingpuckguy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:14 pm

So, I just bought a Tekonsha P3 electronic brake controller. I also have the Nissan wiring harness kit to connect it, however, there is a difference in the number of wires for each.

The wiring harness (WH) has the following 5 wire colour designations:
RED/GREEN - Vehicle stop lamp switch to trailer brake connector
BLACK - Brake connector ground
BROWN/WHITE - Trailer brake controller switch output
RED/BLUE - Trailer brake controller illumination
RED - Fused trailer brake controller battery feed (B+)

The Tekonsha P3 has the following 4 wire colour designations:
BLACK - Positive battery
WHITE - Negative battery
RED - Cold side of stoplight switch
BLUE - Brake output to trailer

So, its easy enough to see that:
WH Black connects to P3 White
WH Red connects to P3 Black

But what about the rest? I have 3 WH wires and 2 P3 wires left over.
Thanks much.

parkingpuckguy

Postby parkingpuckguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Well, I got an email reply from Tekonsha Tech Support about my question and thought I'd pass it along here for those of you in the same boat.....

Thank you for contacting Cequent Performance Products Technical Support. Below is a chart that shows how to connect the Nissan supplied brake control harness to the P3’s wires.
  • [Nissan Harness]-[P3 Harness]-[Function]
    Red-Black-12 Volt
    Red w Green Tracer-Red-Stoplight
    Black-White-Ground
    Brown w White Tracer-Blue-Trailer Brakes
    Red w Blue Tracer-N/A-Illumination

The display on the P3 will come on as soon as the control gets power and ground.

Sorry I can't seem to get the list to align with the headings but you get the idea.

parkingpuckguy

Postby parkingpuckguy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Well, I got the P3 wired in today....Probably one of the most used spots for it I guess.

I did have a bit of confusion about where the Nissan wiring harness plugged in because I read that there was a harness near the parking brake pedal. I looked and looked but there wasn't one that matched the harness plug. However, there was one just above the accelerator pedal so I plugged it in there.

I then took the Pathfinder and connected it up to the trailer to check the operation of the P3 and everything was fine. Note that the pic was taken without the trailer hooked up (and the display shows it that way as a red screen and crossed out trailer).

:)

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

As the Op knows through PMs I have been adding a P3 to my 07 . I have been having some electrical issue ranging from erratic turn signals, loss of cruise control to non closing sunroof. well I would not have thought any of this was linked to the P3 and its associated harness but when it disconnected all is well- strange but true.

I was looking over the wiring colors and connections and had previously just plugged the harness into the white plug, mounted the relay in with the 2 blue ones and though -- done.

My wiring colors however are different.
The Nissan side is Orange, red with silver dash, brown, black in a row with a light green blue with a silver tag in a second row.
The P3 is as previously noted, black, blue, white in one line and red on the other.
It connects on the plus as

orange to black
red/silver not connected
brown to blue
black to white
light blue green/silver to red

So how does that work out to the other harness colors.

I think another call to P3 is required. I was at the dealers today and the tech said you had to be very careful because if you get a back feed it can blow fuses, lock out relays and burn wires, not what I an looking for.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 am

Are you using the right harness? Mine was plug and play. Installed very quickly and love the P3. Here is a link to the instruction to find the right connector under the dash.
http://www.totalhitch.com/InstallSheets ... nissan.pdf

Hope this helps

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks.

Did you use the P3 Nissan harness or the Nissan OEM one. I am in the correct plug as I get a 12v feed, brake switch feed and a line feed on the blue wire to the back. I used the Nissan one fromP3

It would appear that I had a bad relay. new one arrived and has been installed for 1 week without any strange events.

Still in the test phase.

asgard

Postby asgard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31 pm

So finish the final testing today and all is as it should be. I used a trailer connector with both a 7 way RV and 4 way connector combo. It connected onto the existing 4 way installed by Nissan , the white 12 volt and blue trailer brake wires I took from the Nissan plug. If you look at this unit is is supplied with a blanking cap to protect it from corrosion. If you remove the outer section then the 2 small rubber sealing washers you can install 2 spade connectors into the housing , split the rubber gaskets and refit like the factory plug.
I did have some issues with a faulty relay which I have now replaced. The Nissan one is expensive from the dealers - I sourced mine from e-trailer $8 but you can get a complete set 2 blue and 1 brown from U Haul for $24.
The P3 as other have said is very good, it calibrates automatically and is a proportional unit. I did a couple of braking tests and then a emergency stop and it was very effective and stable. I would recommend this unit.

Return to “R51 Electrical”