Auto starter and lights not working with remote.

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

drcar1974

Auto starter and lights not working with remote.

Postby drcar1974 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

I own a 2008 pathfinder and for the first time from 2008 that I own it my remote starter stop working. I press the button with the remote and I hear the horn but the car does not star. I also noticed that the lights don't flash on whenever I lock or unlock the doors. These problems began simultaneously. Any ideas what could be the problem? Is this a simple fix? thanks

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:01 am

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Just for clarification, you push the lock button twice correct? I know for my 08 with remote start I have to push the button twice and then the lights will flash and start the car.

Do you have two remotes? Does this happen with both remotes? Possible low battery? Water damage?

drcar1974

Postby drcar1974 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 am

hi thank you for replying.
yes I press the button twice I hear the horn however the car just does not start. And the light just don't flash on anymore. And I try the same thing with the second spare remote that I have and no luck. Should I just take it to the dealer? I know the doors lock and unlock perfect but like I said the lights stop flashing whenever I lock and unlock the doors now.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 am

You might try disconnecting the battery in order to reset the system. Also, I'm unsure as I'll have to look at mine again, it might have been disengaged through the Head Unit. I'll look at mine to see it has a way to turn on and off and I'll get back to you.

drcar1974

Postby drcar1974 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am

ok thanks I will try disconnecting the battery.

drcar1974

Postby drcar1974 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 am

volvite you were right! I disconnected the negative wire on the battery waited 30 seconds and reconnected the wire. Now everything is back to normal. Thank you so much. This was bothering me for the last 2 days. I noticed that the battery terminals were dirty with that white acid. So I would have to get them clean. Thanks again!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 am

when in doubt, reboot! :)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:55 pm

drcar1974 wrote:volvite you were right! I disconnected the negative wire on the battery waited 30 seconds and reconnected the wire. Now everything is back to normal. Thank you so much. This was bothering me for the last 2 days. I noticed that the battery terminals were dirty with that white acid. So I would have to get them clean. Thanks again!
Hey,

Glad it worked out for you. I would buy a battery brush from your local car parts store and clean the terminal on the battery and your battery cable. You need to have real clean and good connections for your vehicle to operate correctly. A battery brush will run you maybe $5 but make sure when you use it, to wear some eye protection so you don't accidently get the "wite powder" in your eyes.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Also, to add to Volvite's comments, do keep in mind that the factory battery clamps are pretty weak, and do stretch over time. Mine are pretty loose, I use the old farmer trick: I inserted a nail inside the battery clamp beside the battery post to ensure the clamp can tighten properly. Without this nail, my clamp doesn't get tight enough to hold tightly.

I could replace them, but my current arrangement works fine.

A battery brush could actually make this worse by removing some material of of the post. I usually just wipe with a dry cloth, but a lot of white residue could be an indicator of a bad connection between post and clamp.

Return to “R51 Electrical”