Any known issues for battery drainage ?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Pathfinder101

Any known issues for battery drainage ?

Postby Pathfinder101 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:33 am

Just replaced the battery about 2 months ago and at that time the system was checked out and everything was OK. Now it will not hold a charge was dead yesterday jumped it drove for about 10 miles went out this morning and dead again I'm going to get the system checked out again today but was wondering if there has been any known issues for battery drainage.

I did notice today when I removed the keys from the ignition that the needles on the gauges were dancing for a couple secs then they went back to the normal position this has me thinking there is a problem other than charge system.

What were the signs of the IDPM issue ?
Last edited by Pathfinder101 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 am

your symptoms do not sound familiar. I have had an issue with dying batteries in my truck, which may be related to the IPDM, but not sure. Its happened twice in the carwash, but no where else. After about 10-15 minutes in the car wash, the electronics in the vehicle kind of go berserk, and you can hear relays clicking like crazy in the IPDM fuse panel. Disconnect the battery and boost, and all seems fine.

I think my symptoms may be the sign of a weak battery. Not sure in your case, but batteries have been known to have issues even when brand new.

When you put a multimeter on the battery, how many volts does it show? Do this in while the vehicle is running, as well as when it is not.

Reading should be 13.5-14.8v while running, and 11-12v when not running.

Disconnect the positive battery terminal with the vehicle off, and measure the amperage draw between the + battery post and the + battery cable. This is your parasitic draw, and it should be under 0.5A. Make sure there are no dome lights or other apparatus on in the vehicle. If higher than 0.5A, you may have an issue, and should start pulling fuses to isolate the problem.

Good link on what I am talking about:

http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batt ... Drain.html

:D

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Ok I think I have this problem solved and the culprit was bad / loose battery
Clamps. When I installed the new battery I was not able to fully tighten the terminals as they were stretched out, they tightened but the positive could be turned with a little force and the negative was pretty loose to the point where I could pull it off although it was tightened as far as it could go. I put some nice new brass terminals on a couple days go and so far I have not had the drainage problem. I also cleaned up all cable ends going to the terminal as they were pretty gacked up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed.

Return to “R51 Electrical”