Projector options for HIDs

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Projector options for HIDs

Postby Sayantsi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:29 am

I know the topic has been discussed before, but I don't think I've ever read any discussion on particular brands of lights, just read about people that bought eBay kits.

Looking at this site : http://www.carid.com/2006-nissan-pathfinder-headlights/

I see several brands available. Has anyone used any of these different types? It seems like people only have experience with the model with the halos, but not the others.

The light output on my r51 is underwhelming and I think I'm just used to projectors and HIDs now, so I'm going the projector route one way or another, but I wonder if certain brands are clearly better than others.

Thanks

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am

I ordered a set of the CG's back when CARID showed that they fit the 2008....I found out they didn't fit 2008+ and returned them. But they seemed to be decent build quality and I can't imagine the output would be worse than OEM....surely it would have to be better. I don't think the performance should be much different between halo/non-halo...it's just for looks from what I can tell.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:30 am

I ordered a set of the CG's back when CARID showed that they fit the 2008....I found out they didn't fit 2008+ and returned them. But they seemed to be decent build quality and I can't imagine the output would be worse than OEM....surely it would have to be better. I don't think the performance should be much different between halo/non-halo...it's just for looks from what I can tell.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 am

I know with the housings that the actual projector is what makes the light output good or not. Then there is the overall build quality of the housing and features like the looks.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Projector options for HIDs

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 am

Sayantsi wrote: I see several brands available. Has anyone used any of these different types? It seems like people only have experience with the model with the halos, but not the others.
I've only seen the ones that have the halos and LEDs. I have a pair on mine. The projectors aren't the greatest on them, but it does provide a nice cutoff, although the light is a bit more scattered below that cutoff than, say, factory HID lights I've seen. Still, I am not complaining because the light output I have now is fantastic.

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 am

I say go with the Lightwerkz FXR retrofit or nothing at all. Great projectors and output. Will be ordering mine in the next few weeks.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

Serpens wrote:I say go with the Lightwerkz FXR retrofit or nothing at all. Great projectors and output. Will be ordering mine in the next few weeks.
What does the kit require in terms of cutting into the stock housings?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

Serpens wrote:I say go with the Lightwerkz FXR retrofit or nothing at all. Great projectors and output. Will be ordering mine in the next few weeks.
Yes, if one doesn't mind spending a ton of money for the retrofits. I disagree with your "or nothing at all" statement though.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:09 am

I've been doing some digging on the aftermarket lights, and from what I can tell, CG/Anzo is by far the best quality aftermarket option.

Other companies like Spec-D and Spyder are not as good quality, and many people go the eBay route and buy knock-off brands to boot, which seem to also have bad quality.

Based on the effort to hack into a stock projector for a single projector solution and what I've learned about the aftermarket solutions, I think CG is the best way to go for the housings, but until I install some HIDs and test them, I won't know if I'd need to get better quality HIDs, like from DDM Tuning, or if the housings take normal or low profile HID bulbs.

NVSteve, did you also go with CG and DDM?

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 4547#44547

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am

Sayantsi wrote:
As NVSteve mentioned above, you're going to have to pay to play with these. They cut into the current headlight housing and place a Morimoto FXR retrofit kit in. The installation looks professional-grade and they do a condensation test and everything. The output of the projectors is comparable or better than the OEM projects on cars out right now. Also note the projectors are bi-xenon, so you get xenon hi-beams too.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/

Other projectors from retrofit companies have an OK beam, but the FXR retro is the only thing I've seen comparable to my BMW. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just consider myself a lighting enthusiast (lol) and am a big fan of the quality of their work.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am

Serpens wrote:
Sayantsi wrote:
As NVSteve mentioned above, you're going to have to pay to play with these. They cut into the current headlight housing and place a Morimoto FXR retrofit kit in. The installation looks professional-grade and they do a condensation test and everything. The output of the projectors is comparable or better than the OEM projects on cars out right now. Also note the projectors are bi-xenon, so you get xenon hi-beams too.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/

Other projectors from retrofit companies have an OK beam, but the FXR retro is the only thing I've seen comparable to my BMW. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just consider myself a lighting enthusiast (lol) and am a big fan of the quality of their work.
What year PF are you running? I considered something like this but price seemed a little crazy last time I checked. I ended up adding aux lights to drastically improve my high beams....but the low beams are still blah. Followup after you do this with the details!

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 pm

skinny2 wrote:What year PF are you running? I considered something like this but price seemed a little crazy last time I checked. I ended up adding aux lights to drastically improve my high beams....but the low beams are still blah. Followup after you do this with the details!
I have a 2011. It's definitely expensive but I'm pretty excited to get this done. I will definitely post pics for the forum when it gets done. Now the timing of this depends on how spring time affects my feelings towards the BMW...that spring modding bug always hits me hard. :D

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am

Sayantsi wrote: NVSteve, did you also go with CG and DDM?
I'm pretty sure mine are the CG from carid.com. I didn't use DDM for the bulbs. Can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but I bought some actual Philips bulbs that were retrofitted/adapted for our connector.

I also used a high temp silicone sealant on my housings before I installed them, then again on the wire loom poking out of the back of the housings once installed.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Serpens wrote:
skinny2 wrote:What year PF are you running? I considered something like this but price seemed a little crazy last time I checked. I ended up adding aux lights to drastically improve my high beams....but the low beams are still blah. Followup after you do this with the details!
I have a 2011. It's definitely expensive but I'm pretty excited to get this done. I will definitely post pics for the forum when it gets done. Now the timing of this depends on how spring time affects my feelings towards the BMW...that spring modding bug always hits me hard. :D
I've got a 2011 too so will be eagerly awaiting a progress report.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Real quick, are you all doing this upgrade yourselves or is it something best suited to a professional?

Return to “R51 Electrical”