Electronics staying on

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

oyarsa

Electronics staying on

Postby oyarsa » Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm

I have a 2005 Pathfinder. When I turn off the ignition, the radio stays on for several seconds even after I remove the key. I've also noticed twice now that the headlights are staying on for much longer (at least around 30 minutes I believe, but probably indefinitely). Any suggestions?

doctahjones

Re: Electronics staying on

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 20, 2013 9:15 am

oyarsa wrote:I have a 2005 Pathfinder. When I turn off the ignition, the radio stays on for several seconds even after I remove the key. I've also noticed twice now that the headlights are staying on for much longer (at least around 30 minutes I believe, but probably indefinitely). Any suggestions?
well i thought the headlights were normal. at night when i take the key out, my headlights stay on until i open and close a door on the truck, or for ~30 seconds, whichever comes first. i haven't touched it since i got the truck, but i'm 99.9% sure i remember seeing this setting in the area where you change the clock if you have the information/lcd screen.

as for the radio staying on, does it stay on for the exact time frame every time, or does it turn off when you open the door or something else? my wife's volvo has the radio stay on until you open the door.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am

may be battery/cable/clamp related (stranger things have happened :shock: .........)
check (load test) battery
clean & tighten battery cables/clamps
how old is your battery?

leadpig

Re: Electronics staying on

Postby leadpig » Mon May 20, 2013 11:14 am

doctahjones wrote: 99.9% sure i remember seeing this setting in the area where you change the clock if you have the information/lcd screen.
Yep, it is under the settings menu, but goes away if the vehicle is in drive. As part of the menu you can set the time the lights stay on after engine off as well as the horn beep for the door lock remote. No clue where those adjustments are on pathys without the LCD screen though.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 20, 2013 2:09 pm

If you don't have the NAVI screen, you need to access the settings with a scantool. They're under the BCM menu.

oyarsa

Postby oyarsa » Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have the NAVI screen, so I may have to find a scanner, but this is something new. Doesn't seem like it should be something that randomly changed.

The battery was just tested when I got the oil changed. They did say it didn't test correctly, especially since the battery is less than a year old. But, I was thinking that was probably due to this electrical issue leaving the lights on for extended periods of time before I noticed. Maybe it's the other way around?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 am

oyarsa wrote:They did say it didn't test correctly
My future mother-in-law doesn't test correctly either, but that's wide open to interpretation. Did they give you any specifics?

oyarsa

Postby oyarsa » Thu May 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Heh, true. They told me what the results were, but I can't remember what they said exactly, and I can't seem to find the slip of paper they gave with the results. I'll see if I can get it tested again.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

found the problem yet?

Return to “R51 Electrical”