how to add auto headlights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

flossie

how to add auto headlights

Postby flossie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Can anyone tell me how to add automatic headlights to a 2012 Pathfinder?

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:34 pm

I was wondering that too. Couldn't find much info on this board, or anywhere else.

On my 2008 SE, I have the light sensor on the dash, close to the windshield. Wonder if that means that all we have to do is change the headlight switch/handle on the left side of the steering wheel to the one which has the AUTO position (from an LE model). Just cant find a used part ... brand new they are close to $100.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:03 am

I thought auto headlights were standard on SE. I have an '08 with them.

FWIW, I wouldn't get too worked up over them....I tend to have to override mine more often than not because they're very sensitive. Drive through a short stretch of shaded road and they turn on within 2 seconds. And during sunrise/sunset or foggy conditions...they turn on, off, on, off, on, off through every little bit of light or darkness. My last 10 vehicles have had auto headlamps but these are the most annoying.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 am

Can't help you with adding auto headlight control, might want to check with Nissan. Honda told my mom that auto headlights could be added on as an after sale extra. Maybe Nissan can do the same thing with your headlights. I have a 2012 Silver PF that came with auto highlights, thought all PF came with them, are you sure you have the switch turned to the auto setting. :lol:

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

I have a 2012 SV and mine has Auto. I don't think it's worth adding one given the number of parts you would need, like the light sensor and replacing the switch/handle, etc.

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

The interesting part is that I do have a light sensor in the dash already ... just wondering if simply replacing the switch with the one that includes AUTO position will do the trick, or would it also require a software update.

I am willing to experiment, but not with a brand new part which costs over $100 ... if I am able to find a used switch for around 20-40 it will be worth the risk.

evgenk

Postby evgenk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 am

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but just happened to search the forums today and found an interesting post which I have somehow missed previously.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... headlights

Check the 5th post by SPICOLI.

According to him, if the dash already has a light sensor that means that all required wiring for Auto headlights is already in place and all you need is the switch, which can be purchased from rockauto.com for about $100.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

good find! hopefully there isn't some programming change required in the BCM to make it work...

Return to “R51 Electrical”