Power windows roll themselves down

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Power windows roll themselves down

Postby DanJetta » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:40 am

About once every other month I'll go outside to find that my front windows have rolled themselves all the way down over night.

The last time it happened I replaced the master power window switch on the driver side which didn't seem to help because this morning my front windows had opened themselves again.

Thoughts or ideas?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 am

I know the OEM remotes have a feature that will lower the windows by holding the unlock button for 3 seconds. I'm not sure if that lowers ALL the windows or just the fronts. I have an aftermarket remote for my starter so I can't try it out. But i noticed the feature in the manual.

I've owned cars with this before and there's usually a few times you'll bump the button and the windows go down on you. I know I've had mine start up on me before after putting my keys in my pocket....

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Ugh, I feel like an idiot. I think that's it.

The remote is so sensitive that when I bend over with my keys in my pocket the windows roll down. I can also set off my alarm in a parking garage from 2 floors away (tried it today).

If my satellite radio had half the reception that my key fob has, I'd be a happy camper.

Thank you!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Yeah, lots of complaints about the remotes and the auto-roll down feature! Worst is when you get to your Pathy after a rain storm and find the interior is soaked!

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:43 am

Thanks! I had no idea that feature existed. Just tried it with my remote and yep, hold it down for 3 sec and front windows go down halfway. Hold it again for 3 sec and front windows go all the way down. Not sure I'll use it, but nice to know it is there.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 am

it also works by using the key in the door lock

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 am

what year & models came with that feature?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

I believe all models starting in 2008.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:20 am

DanJetta wrote:Ugh, I feel like an idiot. I think that's it.

The remote is so sensitive that when I bend over with my keys in my pocket the windows roll down.
Once I arrive to the office every morning, the keys go on one of my cabinets. Once I get home, they go on a dresser. I haven't had any problems with them in my pockets if I'm walking around, but if I have to sit down, they come out of my shorts pocket.

STUPID feature. Seriously. And I never understood why they can't come out with a fob that has a hinged cover or something similar. I feel the same way with cell phones that have the external power buttons-if one is squashed in a pocket or bag, it can get turned on or off.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 am

I was going to add.....stop bending over!!!

This pocket dilemma is one reason I don't like the keyless start that almost EVERYONE is using now. I hate sitting down with keys in my pocket and that includes when I'm driving. So when I get in a car with keyless start I have to find a place to put my keys. And remember them when I get out!

Return to “R51 Electrical”