wait...what?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

not on the rug

wait...what?

Postby not on the rug » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 am

so I posted the battery issue I was having on another forum, and everyone seemed to think it was the terminal too. except one guy stated that I should have pre-charged the optima before installing it. he said that it needs to be topped off of volts and amps. he also said that once an optima dies, it will never produce the same amount of cold cranking amps again. and he added that since I hadn't pre-charged it, the cca's might be gone now.

does this make sense to anyone, or is this guy nuts?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:30 pm

That does not make sense to me.

My knowledge is limited, but from my understanding with the optima style batteries, one of the perks is you are able to run the battery down low without it causing damage to the charging ability of the battery. It's a combination between a deep cycle battery and a typical car battery. Also you are able to mount the battery in unique locations without the worry of damaging the plates that you would find in a normal battery.

I've had a couple different Optima batteries. My very first battery worked like it should for 5 years. I could run it down and charge it back up and never had to worry about the battery. However when I went to replace that battery with another Optima, the new optima only lasted about a 1 year. I thought maybe this was just a bad lot and was able with the warranty swap out the battery for another Optima. That battery ended up doing the same thing. Needless to say I was unimpressed with the new optima batteries that I didn't buy another one. I've also read lots of reviews with similar stories that the quality of the optima batteries has gone down. I

Return to “R51 Electrical”