Help with Roof Mounted Lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

unmeloy

Help with Roof Mounted Lights

Postby unmeloy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 pm

need to get a few roof mounted lights... this is going to be a temporary solution, so i am looking at buying some cheap walmart forg/driving lights. here is the application... i need to mount them on the rack in the back facing towards the rear to illuminate a 20ft trailer for a parade float this week. first would like some suggestions as to which type to get (remember walmart cheap) and the best way to mount them to the rack without having to drill or modify the rack.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 am

Temp... like for a parade? You could mount them on a piece of Alum angle ($4), the wire-tie, hose-clamp, or bungee cord the angle iron across the rear of the rack.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:08 am

I would get tractor lights over driving lights. They tend to be more "floody" than "spotty" so you light up the whole float rather than burning a hole in one person's head.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 3835363934

As far as mounting them. I'd buy clamps from Lowes or Home Depot. Mount the lights to the clamp and clamp the clamp to the roof rack.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_220157-52800-XM ... facetInfo=

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 pm

i ended up just getting cheap walmart lights similar to those... got a 1/8 thick piece of 1" by 3' angle iron. and fashioned myself some brackets that mount to the side of the roof rack at the cross bars using the same bolts... worked up fine. just wrapped the wire around the cross bar and to the tailgate and dropped them inside under the hinge. have pics will post...

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 pm

That looks very nice. Don't you just love angle iron.. I use it for stuff constantly.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:37 pm

BigEz wrote:That looks very nice. Don't you just love angle iron.. I use it for stuff constantly.
i do love it... it was a straight piece of steel, i cut it to 3" and "scored" it across about halfway through so it would bend easier to a 90* angle... then tack welded the ends( not that it needed it) thought about makeing these and selling cheap but its so cheap to make them i figured no one would want to pay lol. the only thing i dont like is the wires just hanging out there... if it was a permanent solution i would install properly. maybe someday when i get a bull bar i will, just relaly dont fee like drilling the roof... scares me lol

Return to “R51 Electrical”