Gas filler door problems. Whats wrong with this picture?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

G35TR

Gas filler door problems. Whats wrong with this picture?

Postby G35TR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 am

Guys, for a while now something has been screwed up with my gas filler door. The metal spring thing inside may have repositioned itself, and no longer holds the door closed the way it should. I can push it closed, but at speed because there is no tension holding that way, the pressure difference always opens it back up about 2-3 inches. Can you guys take a look at these pictures and compare them to yours, and let me know what's out of whack here. Pictures of properly working gas doors would be great too. Thanks guys.

P.S. I got a video of this thing in motion too if it would help.

Pic 1

Pic 2

USMCPathfinder

Postby USMCPathfinder » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:52 am

I've had that happen to me on more than a few occassions. I've noticed that each time, the plastic gas cap tether seems to get caught in the hinge, causing the spring to become dislodged. The quick fix to it is to use a flat-head screwdriver to gently pull the spring back into place. I'll take pictures of the process and post them for you if you need.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Some pictures would be great, because I'm not exactly sure what "in place" should look like.

gonyofam3

Postby gonyofam3 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:38 pm

USMCPathfinder wrote:I've had that happen to me on more than a few occassions. I've noticed that each time, the plastic gas cap tether seems to get caught in the hinge, causing the spring to become dislodged. The quick fix to it is to use a flat-head screwdriver to gently pull the spring back into place. I'll take pictures of the process and post them for you if you need.
I have had the samething happen to me, but I have been too busy to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. I wish it had the popping door like the LE gets.

Npath

Re: Gas filler door problems. Whats wrong with this picture?

Postby Npath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Seems like the middle of black piece looks bent more towards the cover. Mine doesn't bend towards the fuel door as much.

Maybe try bending that a bit and see what happens. May pop off, but It'd probably be a bit easier bending it slightly with it disconnected to the door.

jlebron

Postby jlebron » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:52 pm

looks like an old post. I am having the same problem. If someone could post a pic of one that is functioning correctly that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am

I had the same problem. Went and bought a new spring at the dealer and couldn't figure out how to get it back "in place" and couldn't use the old one because I trashed it trying to get it "in place". So I went to wally world got some round extra strength magnets in the craft section, stacked them up and put them on the body inside the door. Works like a dream and no more crappy black metal spring thing to worry about getting jacked up in the fuel door.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”