Peeling paint

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

merrion13

Peeling paint

Postby merrion13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Just bought a 2008 SE last week and wasn't until cleaning it today that I noticed that in the rain channels/gutters on each side the paint has peeled. What can I do to prevent this damage from getting worse?
See pic:Image[/img]

RCAR50

Postby RCAR50 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi, there. I hate when you notice things after the fact like this...So frustrating!
This really doesn't look too bad but of course leaves a chance for the peeling to grow.
I am not a pro by any means but what I would do in this situation is carefully chip off any loose/lifted paint in that channel, wrap something soft (similiar to a pencil eraser or something like that) that fits in the channel with maybe 1200/1500 grit wet sand paper to eliminate any edges of the remaining paint.
At this point I would give the area a quick wash and dry to see where your at. If what is left is looking pretty secure (no loose pieces or thick edges) then I would find some higher grit paper at least 2000 grit and give it another sweep with some continuous water to keep it wet and clean it up before you paint.
After the sanding is done and its smooth, I'd wipe the area very well with a wax remover/ paint prep spray (should be available anywhere that sells paint i.e. hardware store or even walmart) then get which ever type of paint your most comfortable with using (spray or brush on touch up from auto parts store or dealer) and then take your time and cover the exposed metal with a few coats of the paint. Remember that if your using spray you'll need to cover everything to avoid overspray getting on windows and the good paint.
Again I am no pro and have only done this a few times myself, but have had decent results.
Good luck to you and Congrats on the new ride!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Peeling paint

Postby eieio » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:25 pm

merrion13 wrote: What can I do to prevent this damage from getting worse?
see the "sticky" at the top of this forum :wink:

RCAR50

Postby RCAR50 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:14 pm

OK, Ya... That will work also. :)

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”